1st gen tacoma stock front brake caliper question

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Brandon posted a pic of their BTF long travel 4WD kit that has a great view of the brake caliper and it reminded me... By chance... Does anyone have any of the factory calipers laying around or currently off their truck that they could get me the diameter of one of the brake pistons in the caliper? Just trying to save myself a trip across town to pull one off our race truck and measure it.

Thanks
Khris

Since I'm stealing his picture for reference hit him up for a bitchin 4wd kit if needed for your tacoma!!!

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
And why is the btf lower shock mount not parallel to the arm pivots?
Would that be side loading the lower shock bearing?

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
And why is the btf lower shock mount not parallel to the arm pivots?
Would that be side loading the lower shock bearing?
Probably so the tab doesn't dig into the lower rod end aluminum.

You could bypass the funky lower mount by using extended rod ends to clear the axle, but then you're limited to a shorter shock.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Doubt we'll be upgrading to Tundra brakes anytime soon. We have probably 15 wheels/tires total between whats physically on the truck and in my sideyard for race day that would ALL need replaced and we're a VERY budget team... Not to mention the truck is possibly going to a new owner before the end of the year so that would be a decision for them.

Online I've found a few sources saying they're 43mm/1.69" in Dia... Would love if anyone can actually physically confirm that though. Next week I may try and see if any of my local parts houses have one in stock I can measure.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
There's a benefit to having that side wall. I don't have the stock or tundra calipers so I can't measure for you. maybe you could go to an autozone that has them in stock to take the measurement. just tell them it's not the right one after you measure lol

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
That's what I'm hoping... Just going to tell them it's for a custom build and need to take the measurement is all... AND COMPLETELY AGREED ON THE SIDEWALL COMMENT!!! It's a BIG reason we stuck with 15" wheels on our build. We're a slow limited class truck. We aren't cornering like a porsche... But we do have limits on suspension so every bit of cushion is a benefit in my opinion.

Was just hoping maybe someone would have one laying around or be mid build and have it off their truck and could take a quick measurement. Worst case, I drive over and pull it off the truck and measure. This was just the lazy attempt to save the trip to the store or to the truck next week essentially. LOL

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds