1st Gen Tundra Repair/Prep

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
For stuck misalignment spacers, i heat them up pretty hot with a handheld torch, and either drop them in a bucket of oil and spray the hell out of them with Penetrant oil. The goal is to get them hot and then when the oil hits it, it causes cooling and sucks the oil into the crevices. Then i use the handle off a spud wrench to hammer it into the end of the misalignment spacer and hammer the spacer put the opposite direction. The taper of the spud wrench bites into the spacers pretty well to hold them.

You can make a spacer no problem for those bump cans. I’ve done it in the past and i add the slit to it and put a couple small beads so the spacer stays on the can. It’s less likely to slip over itself if you do that.
Also for single coilover applications I prefer to run the tall, foam Eibach or King shaft bumps. Those things are miracle workers for sure compared to that stupid rubber pad with a metal washer inside that’s on there now. Ditch those for sure.

Valve the coilover to have .020 stack, double the 3rd smallest shim, and run half .012’s/.010’s on rebound and 250psi. Call it a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Did some more work on this thing. Got the suspension bumped correctly by adding spacers to the bump cans. Made shock tower reinforcement plates/landing pads for future shock hoops/engine cage. Also cut up the smashed up crossmember and bumper. I used a bottle jack and a piece of .250” tubing to starting pushing things back to where they should be. Made a lot of progress today. Lots to go still.
384390B3-ACE5-4627-B19B-A53A9EA37363.jpeg
213002AB-32D4-4FAB-AE55-07D1758883E4.jpeg
C6775078-405E-44F4-AD7B-822D75C011C6.jpeg
FC822D1A-6F12-4E1C-A1B3-EC9FC0AAF49C.jpeg
8F4DC138-90F6-4CEC-8729-145F8D310860.jpeg

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
If you land a tube on that top plate won't it smash/bend down since it is elevated?

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
If you land a tube on that top plate won't it smash/bend down since it is elevated?
Its supported by a raised ring on the factory coil bucket and the small pieces of .250” wall tubing around the 3 bolts. It’s the same setup used by Camburg, Total Chaos and others. It’s hard to see in the pictures.

I’m adding double sheer gussets for the upper arms next, I’ll grab some more pictures when I have it apart next.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
The double shear plates are nice but make getting the uca bolt out even more frustrating. I have been really thinking about chopping out the crossover tube behind the shock where the uca bolt slides and running a pair of shorter bolts with a threaded tube in the middle or just using a nut for each of the new bolts. You would probably have to pull the shock out if you didn't use captive nuts but its only 4 bolts to get the shock out anyways so its not like it would be much harder.

Sean

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
The double shear plates are nice but make getting the uca bolt out even more frustrating. I have been really thinking about chopping out the crossover tube behind the shock where the uca bolt slides and running a pair of shorter bolts with a threaded tube in the middle or just using a nut for each of the new bolts. You would probably have to pull the shock out if you didn't use captive nuts but its only 4 bolts to get the shock out anyways so its not like it would be much harder.

Sean
That's how my tundra was... only on one side though lol. Not sure why the PO didn't do it to both.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003

Sean
That's how my tundra was... only on one side though lol. Not sure why the PO didn't do it to both.
You were both right. After spending the whole day fighting the double shear plates, upper arms and the long upper arm bolts, I ditched the long bolts and changed it up.

I sliced out the tube and I’m doing to use two separate bolts per upper control arm. I should have just done this from the beginning. I basically worked in this thing the whole day and accomplished very little. Fuck

E6081341-66F3-45B8-82D5-98BC53F88F40.jpeg

Last edited:

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
You were both right. After spending the whole day fighting the double shear plates, upper arms and the long upper arm bolts, I ditched the long bolts and changed it up.

I sliced out the tube and I’m doing to use two separate bolts per upper control arm. I should have just done this from the beginning. I basically worked in this thing the whole day and accomplished very little. Fuck

View attachment 224929
Looks great, what did you use to cut it? I have been putting off swapping it over because it looked like a pain in the ass. Did you run 9/16ths bolts or stick with metric?

Also. do you know what longtubes are on it?

Sean

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Looks great, what did you use to cut it? I have been putting off swapping it over because it looked like a pain in the ass. Did you run 9/16ths bolts or stick with metric?

Also. do you know what longtubes are on it?

Sean
Sawzall with some new fancy Diablo metal cutting blades I got at the Home Depot. They are the best I have ever used. I cut from the bottom up. It was definitely a pain in the ass, not a lot of room inside to work. I evened up the cuts with a 1” barrel sander on my 90 die grinder. I’ll add a filler plate to tie the flat plates together again.

I am switching it to 9/16”. The 14 mm bolt was super sloppy and the 9/16 fit way better in everything.

I think they are JBA headers. They are the CA smog legal ones. They bolt to the factory Y pipe and keep the cats. I’ll double check the let you know.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds