1st Gen Tundra Repair/Prep

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Looks good! Never noticed the linoleum on your garage floor before... how’s it holding up?
My house was built in 1965 and my garage was the sales office for the whole tract. That is the original floor tiles they installed in 1965. So they are probably 100% asbestos. They hold up pretty good, it will chip if I drop something sharp. The floor jack and jack stands have no effect on it. I do have to scrub it a little to get the grinder dust off it. Fluids clean up easy. It wouldn’t be my choice for a garage flooring, but it better than bare concrete and I’m not stripping it off.

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Got the new crossmember and rack mounts all burned in. He need a wheel bearing on the drivers side too. This truck continues to not let me down. The hub did not want to come out. Took everything my shitty Hong Kong press had. Sounded like a gunshot when that fucker broke loose. Of course the bearing came apart and the outer race came off with the hub.

Bearing also required lots of heat and pressure to get out. It Is totally fucked and the race has more waves than the Pacific Ocean and more pits than a tweakers face.

Hub has a nice long crack running the length of it. I think this poor truck has been beat like a red headed step child. Of course the hub is hard to source.
A861A526-9AD2-4416-AC07-0C29D216C96F.jpeg
93D4C4EC-939D-48CC-BE65-6A92039225DE.jpeg
62F6C8EC-888B-461D-9422-3F1E427C2833.jpeg
85044313-590B-4C63-A4A5-2E1C4AA40A92.jpeg

Last edited:

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Your buddy shouldn't be allowed to drive anymore haha. At this point you might as well build longer arms and a d44 spindle

Reactions: SByota

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
Got the new crossmember and rack mounts all burned in. He need a wheel bearing on the drivers side too. This truck continues to not let me down. The hub did not want to come out. Took everything my shitty Hong Kong press had. Sounded like a gunshot when that fucker broke loose. Of course the bearing came apart and the outer race came off with the hub.

Bearing also required lots of heat and pressure to get out. It Is totally fucked and the race has more waves than the Pacific Ocean and more pits than a tweakers face.

Hub has a nice long crack running the length of it. I think this poor truck has been beat like a red headed step child. Of course the hub is hard to source.View attachment 225594View attachment 225595View attachment 225596View attachment 225605
Those front wheels bearings weren’t designed by Toyota to be a serviceable part.. replacing the whole knuckle is/was their solution. Same goes with the wheel bearings on the rear axle. Same goes with the starter on the first gen tundra.. many parts on the first gen tundra were designed by Toyota to “last a lifetime” hence why they don’t come apart easily or are a pain in the royal dick to replace.

Reactions: SByota

SByota

Jul 16, 2003
Those front wheels bearings weren’t designed by Toyota to be a serviceable part.. replacing the whole knuckle is/was their solution. Same goes with the wheel bearings on the rear axle. Same goes with the starter on the first gen tundra.. many parts on the first gen tundra were designed by Toyota to “last a lifetime” hence why they don’t come apart easily or are a pain in the royal dick to replace.
I can definitely see that after working on this thing.

Looks like the hub he needs is a Toyota only part too. The 2wd one is different than the readily available 4wd one. In typical Toyota fashion, it’s $300.

Do Dah

May 13, 2012
Rear wheel bearings are pretty easy. Cut into the inner race with an angle grinder, hit it with a chisel to split the race and it slides right off.

Reactions: DP_Ranger

Do Dah

May 13, 2012
I can definitely see that after working on this thing.

Looks like the hub he needs is a Toyota only part too. The 2wd one is different than the readily available 4wd one. In typical Toyota fashion, it’s $300.

This is for a 2wd 4Runner, but Tacoma’s, tundras, sequoias, and 4runners use the same knuckles/hubs/bearings.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds