2:AM Fabrication's 84 prerunner

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
ok so ive been on here for a long time and posted bits and pieces of my build along the way but finally decided to start a thread dedicated to it. not much of it has been documented and ill do my best to dig up pics but when im working i rarely have a camera around.

so here is goes.
got the truck in February of 08 for free with a downey kit, downey springs, bolt in cage, 4.10s etc etc pretty much a simple, clean unabused truck. that all changed very quickly haha

within the first 6 month i fryed multiple alternators, blew a headgasket, hada water pump fail and had a pinion bearing go out. did the headgasket myself and upgraded to a 1 wire GM 130amp alt.

then it was time for more noise so i added 2 12" in a custom box

now it was time to start beating the shit out of it. my first real trip in it was to ocotillo and resulted in a sliced sidewall after trying to keep up with some baja bugs lol

VID:
bikecrazy91's Library | Photobucket

then it was off to the 2008 night race, which was my first offroad trip with DR people. met alot of cool people that i still go to the desert with.

soon after that trip i realized that 14" rancho rs9000 werent to good on the back of this thing so i ordered up a set of preproduction FOA triple bypasses.

one of the first things i "fabbed", extened my shock hoops to make them fit.

cycled it and had an amazing 10" of travel lol

took it out for a little test run, worked amazing compared to the ranchos even with downey lift springs.

bikecrazy91's Library | Photobucket

Last edited:

84prerunner

Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
then the wall race came around and i loaded it up with firewood and met up with some DR people people for a caravan out. this was the first trip that i actually beat the living hell out of it, cmae home with my skid polate caved in from casing everyother whoop repeadily. a few DR members can comfirm i beat the hell out of it that trip. made it home in 1 piece aswell.

then i met john alagna and helped out with his team at the powder puff race. next big thing after that was the barstow clean up. got there around 11pm and headed stright to the hodge road road gap. had no idea what it was till i got there. jumped it probably 15 times that night and ended up clearing it.
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x9/bikecrazy91/?action=view&current=HPIM1835.flv

then i found an amazing deal on here for a duffco kit with heim steering and t100 spindles. put it on with my current 5 lug spindles and re used the old white rockets from the downey kit.
took it to lytle creek for some testing
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x9/bikecrazy91/?action=view&current=HPIM1855.flv

then it was time for 33s, new rims, a new axle with 4.88s and t100 spindle and brakes.

beat on it like that for awhile then realized i needed some new shocks for the front. built and engine cage and got some 2.5x10 threaded body FOAs. also cut out my wheel wells due to major tire rub issues at bump.

a week after the on the way back from tuff truck i was in a car accident on the 605 freeway. insurance totaled my truck.

wasnt my fault and it was all cosmetic damage except for a bent leaf.

argued with the insurance for a month and ended up getting lets say a fair settlement lol :D
bought some 62s from john at trifecta and all the brackets from ruffstuff.
the rear sat way to high so i then modified my duffco kit for a lower uniball and built some lift spindles.

while doing that i relized my duffco arms had been starting to bend where the balljoint mounted

got that all buttoned up and along with a new bumper it looked like this

84prerunner

Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
it now has a hood but pretty much still looks like that pic. need to build a new back bumper and need a new driveshaft with a slip joint.

84prerunner

Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
and if anyone has noticed, this has all been done in under 2 years on a high school kids budget. just goes to show if you do your homework and wait for deals it can be done cheap.

fleshwound

OG Member
Aug 10, 2005
Orange, CA
good job man! i like how the truck looks, it looks much beefier with just those few things you have done. i remember seeing it last at the powder puff race then bam it looked like it does now, surprised at how much it changed

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds