2 Door TTB Explorer Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I am thoroughly enjoying this build so far.

These are a few of my favorite things: (sing it, you know you fucking want to)

1. Nothing taken too seriously
2. Design compromises showcased, explained, and supported with sensible reasoning or humor
3. Sensible budget
4. Well written
5. Funny
6. Project tracking and documentation is exceptional
7. Failures & problems documented for our amusement and education
8. References to imbibing alcoholic beverages while fabricating
9. Bro

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
I am thoroughly enjoying this build so far.

These are a few of my favorite things: (sing it, you know you fucking want to)

1. Nothing taken too seriously
2. Design compromises showcased, explained, and supported with sensible reasoning or humor
3. Sensible budget
4. Well written
5. Funny
6. Project tracking and documentation is exceptional
7. Failures & problems documented for our amusement and education
8. References to imbibing alcoholic beverages while fabricating
9. Bro
Thanks for the kind words, your builds have been an inspiration for sure.

Badass budget build, was the first ranger the one that was on pirate years ago?
Ah yes the (in)famous black ranger. The gold standard in which all my builds are held to. The truck that taught me TTB is the way. I've had trucks that work better, trucks that look better, but never have I had one that was so much fun. Heres a pic of it in it's golden years, RIP my friend

IMAG0025.jpg

Knuckledstr

#NBHNC
May 14, 2006
west Texas
Thanks for the kind words, your builds have been an inspiration for sure.

Ah yes the (in)famous black ranger. The gold standard in which all my builds are held to. The truck that taught me TTB is the way. I've had trucks that work better, trucks that look better, but never have I had one that was so much fun. Heres a pic of it in it's golden years, RIP my friend

View attachment 209609

that's badass. I remember seeing the build on pirate and wondering how the hell you beat on it so much and it sounded like it was still reliable as hell. The chain limit straps were legit too.

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
The doors always closed on the black truck. Sometimes you would have to take a hammer to the door sills and beat them after some agressive rock sections. It was reliable as hell, fed a steady diet of junkyard parts. I think the only time it tried to leave me stranded was in bakersfield when the fuel pump died. Luckily i had my bike in the truck, rode it to auto zone and camped out til they opened in the morning.

Reactions: bajadog

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Well it was a good weekend...
IMG_3212.JPG

Got her rolling after an all day thrash on Saturday

IMG_3207.JPG

First lap around the block was a success, heard some weird clunking in the front end and discovered the beam pivot bolts to be finger tight. Imagine that I forgot something

IMG_3208.JPG

Gave it a once over, tossed some tools and fire extinguisher in and got the suspension moving.

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

Tire clearance looks suprisingly good in the front, might have to trim the trailing edge of the front bumper
IMG_3215.JPG

Rear clearance is good under articulation, but under straight compression it'll hit for sure. Might just draw a sharpie line around the mini flares, remove them, and cut on the line. Still up for debate I kind of like the little flares on there.

IMG_3221.JPG

The only interference issue I found so far is the leaf spring clamp getting friendly with the frame. Should I just leave the bolt out? Or maybe trim the ears and weld a piece of flat stock across? It will be strapped well before leaf separation so maybe that clamp isn't necessary? I'll probably replace the hanger mounting bolt with a countersunk one too.

IMG_3213.JPG

Overall it rides like a caddy on any sort of dips and water drainages the city of Ontario and Upland could throw at it. I'm sure it'll need a revalve but it is very pleasant to drive on the road. I am stoked it is back in service and sitting in the work parking lot right now

Last edited:

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
Just a random recommendation. Burn some welds into the factory motor/suspension cross member were it meets the fame. The rivets allow some flex and the welds helped firm up the front end of mine.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds