2001 DD Tacoma

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
decided on going for a bed cage whilst retaining bed space, already have some tools but not too sure what else I may need, definitely going to need a bender. ANY SUGGESTIONS on BRAND trying to stay in a fairly budget price range.
We got a JD2 bender many years ago and still going strong. I think there are cheaper and more expensive out there but I am happy.

Just don't use the harbor freight or any of that. Before you buy ask about it so people can guide you and you do not waste money.

When you say shocks and bed cage do you mean on stock leafs or are you adding deavers? If stock then do not bother with a bedcage and huge shocks yet. You can get away with a little larger shock under the bed until you upgrade.

Bed cage is simple and easy to mount shocks to. Under bed is better (In my opinion) because you keep bed space but to get really good travel #'s you need to do a cantilever which is a lot of work.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Affordable tube bender to get your feet wet in fabrication. You can upgrade later. Get a 1.75" die and have fun with it. I have built, and am continuing to build, many bumpers, shock mounts, bedcages, engine cages, roll cages, etc. with mine. Just has a large bend radius, which isn't the end of the world

Corn-Taco

The not so baller moto hauler
Nov 2, 2021
San marcos
We got a JD2 bender many years ago and still going strong. I think there are cheaper and more expensive out there but I am happy.

Just don't use the harbor freight or any of that. Before you buy ask about it so people can guide you and you do not waste money.

When you say shocks and bed cage do you mean on stock leafs or are you adding deavers? If stock then do not bother with a bedcage and huge shocks yet. You can get away with a little larger shock under the bed until you upgrade.

Bed cage is simple and easy to mount shocks to. Under bed is better (In my opinion) because you keep bed space but to get really good travel #'s you need to do a cantilever which is a lot of work.
If I were to do a bedcage yes i would do deavers and shackles along with switching to SUA. That would make a lot more sense imo rather than trying to make it work with shocks under the bed. Definitely worth the price to have better and smoother travel

Corn-Taco

Nov 2, 2021
San marcos
Affordable tube bender to get your feet wet in fabrication. You can upgrade later. Get a 1.75" die and have fun with it. I have built, and am continuing to build, many bumpers, shock mounts, bedcages, engine cages, roll cages, etc. with mine. Just has a large bend radius, which isn't the end of the world
What bender do you have seems like a lot of people on here have the JD2 bender, Havent really started looking into it yet

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Went with the Pro Tools 105 myself, but it's essentially a clone of the JD2 model 32. The manual ~$600-700 benders are all pretty much the same.

Made a couple of bumpers and a bed cage with a modded HF pipe bender earlier on, but it's pretty terrible. Even modified, it'll still kink past ~20 degrees. Would not recommend.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
What bender do you have seems like a lot of people on here have the JD2 bender, Havent really started looking into it yet
I had an affordable bender with 1" and 1.75" dies. I used it as is for a while before modifying it to a $100 20ton short air over hydraulic jack from harbor freight. It recently gave up the ghost as I was bending some 4130. Ended up building myself a new one out of 3/8" plate using the same dimensions.

Corn-Taco

Nov 2, 2021
San marcos
361C7E43-D91D-4D47-835F-7C9452D4E019.jpeg
EDA5DF93-0009-407A-8436-EF666DC64685.jpeg
9BBE9CBB-2510-4376-8CA2-B6546B8C13B6.jpeg
7FA3685A-319C-4586-846C-16969FCBF78B.jpeg
D3A98A97-DB08-4060-A86E-186FEA7C8615.jpeg

I have honestly had a lot of fun with truck over the past few months getting to do some new stuff to it, picked up the sweet tube bumper off a local listing for a price i could pass up and the look is definitely growing on me. Even got to work on some fab skills by making some light mounts on it and they have held up great to many trips out to the desert. I am planning on buying a solo motorsports kit with shocks and I was going to ask of anyone else on here with 4x4 first gen long travel has any tips for getting cv axles i think some people use tundra cvs but im not 100% sure. Anyways here is a little bump update to this thread, I want to spend more time and of course money on the truck so that will be followed with updates on here

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Yeah most of the LT kits use a tundra CV. The BTF kit (which is what i would get) uses a custom CV and is a really good kit at a decent price.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Corn-Taco

Nov 2, 2021
San marcos
Yeah most of the LT kits use a tundra CV. The BTF kit (which is what i would get) uses a custom CV and is a really good kit at a decent price.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
I too really like the btf kit however only reason im not going with btf is because i found a good deal on a solo 3.5 over kit that comes with fox 2.5s with resis and radflow 2.5 bypasses, and im pretty sure tundra axles will fit perfect in the 3.5 over kit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds