2002 Tundra DD Prerunner sick gnar

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^ Super nice tow pig. Bet that hurt the pocket book. HAHAH

I have been enjoying towing out the truck lately... much more pleasant in a new comfortable truck. Been sleeping in a truck tent. (which isn't terrible really)

I have been contemplating a cab over camper in my old age... but I don't have a dually. (2013 F250 diesel crew cab with short bed). I wonder if it's possible to still even tow with a camper on a 3/4 ton SRW. I haven't checked into that shit.

Landon

Medium Horse Rider
Nov 29, 2004
#NotBeachlife

I have been enjoying towing out the truck lately... much more pleasant in a new comfortable truck. Been sleeping in a truck tent. (which isn't terrible really)

I have been contemplating a cab over camper in my old age... but I don't have a dually. (2013 F250 diesel crew cab with short bed). I wonder if it's possible to still even tow with a camper on a 3/4 ton SRW. I haven't checked into that shit.
I found a certified used so it hurt but not as bad as a new one.

Look into those lightweight pop up campers, they still have a nice comfy bed and a heater. Only thing they are missing is a bathroom/shower and they weigh like 1500lbs

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
My old starcraft pop up camper was 1750lbs wet. AND had a shower/toilet. I just hated having to tuck the tent part back in after lowering it. Only reason I sold it.

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
Some six pack campers and a select few lacnce campers are pretty light. We got an 86 ls1000 and it was made for mid size pick ups of the day. Toyotas, rangers, etc. Supposedly less than 1k lbs dry. No bathroom and headroom is tight. Sleeping area is small. Down side is it doesn't fit my truck for shit so had to build a little platform (basement) so it would fit. There is storage in the basement so that's cool.

It's a tiny guy. Got some e rated tires, I feel confident with it. Since its lifted off the bed sides there is a ton of room for firewood there which I do like.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA

Does this answer your question? Lol

Attachments

84prerunner

Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
Mine is a VERY heavy camper with a slide-out. It has all the creature comforts of a regular trailer (AC, Heat, Full 2 door fridge, shower, microwave, stove, ovan, TV, tons of cabinets, pantry, double sink etc) Ready to camp with 14 gallons of propane and 55gallons of water it weighs in around 4,000 lbs. Its no joke but you can get MUCH light campers.

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
Mine is a VERY heavy camper with a slide-out. It has all the creature comforts of a regular trailer (AC, Heat, Full 2 door fridge, shower, microwave, stove, ovan, TV, tons of cabinets, pantry, double sink etc) Ready to camp with 14 gallons of propane and 55gallons of water it weighs in around 4,000 lbs. Its no joke but you can get MUCH light campers.
Not to turn this into a camper thread (which I'm feeling like we need lol) but that is a super legit camper. That being said, do you have any idea of what your rear axle weight is when towing? Looks HEAVY lol. F rated tires?

84prerunner

Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
Not to turn this into a camper thread (which I'm feeling like we need lol) but that is a super legit camper. That being said, do you have any idea of what your rear axle weight is when towing? Looks HEAVY lol. F rated tires?

Ive never actually weighed, but i have seen weights of the same camper on similar trucks etc
With that said i should be close to 8,000lb rear axle weight. Tires are E rated (4,080 ea) so i am basically maxed out.
I use a weight distribution hitch to try to help as much as possible.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds