2003 Double Cab Tacoma Rebuild "The Long Weiney"

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Finally starting a thread since there will be some updates here soon. Bought the truck July 2013 and started the rebuild process then to make truck drive able. Always wanted a double cab and got for a good deal. But it had its fair share of problems. Many i found when tearing into it more and more.

It had no motor mounts attached to frame anymore. Some custom rear springs and hangers and some creative attempt at making the Camburg LT upper arms into heim mounts.

Rebuilt the rear with f67 deavers and some 3.0 kuster bypasses outside frame. Built new bedcage and kept as much of bed as possible since I use the truck for camping and expedition trips.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Finished up back end and took on maiden voyage to lucerne valley for new years.

Truck worked well but lacked rear up travel when loaded up so I redid rear spring hangers and fixed the problem with that. I then decided that I wanted to build a mount for my tent cot and other items since bed space was taken up by 35" spare gas cans food container jack and ice chest.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
So took it on trips for over a year now with very minimal issues but decided to finally cage the truck and install many parts I've been collecting over the last year. Which included 4 race seats. Supercharger. Headers. New front suspension I'll be building. Full cage. And a new rear setup. Truck is still a play toy and will be my DD when my dodge is down. Camping and expedition trips is still priority when doing the build. Started the cage on Saturday afternoon. Stripping interior out and laying some tube. Planning on keeping as much interior and carpet as possible. Want to make it a comfortable but safe vehicle.

Holes ready for engine cage tie ins.

Will have more pictures as I Continue progress. Hopefully have cage tubes all in and ready to be dropped down by weekend so I can weld and paint them before re assembling the interior. Then onto the front end and rear.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Stock width rear end with spacers or wider rear axle or what? Basically how'd you fit bypasses outside of the frame rails? Or is the double cab frame narrower then the extended cab setup?

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
I've been wondering after seeing pics of this thing...and you've probably been asked many times before, but, was the frame stretched on this truck? From what I've seen online, 1st gen long bed double cabs were never made and I can't remember ever seeing one before.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah the previous owner started the long bed conversion but failed. I stretched the frame and boxed it in to fit the 6 ft bed. When doing the 62" deaver swap the front hanger is now mounting where frame slopes up so had to make fairly long front hangers.

chainslap

OG Member
Jun 22, 2004
Prescott, AZ
Cool build. I'm kicking around the idea of doing one of these or a first gen 4runner build next.

So the wheelbase was lengthened on it to match the long bed?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds