2003 Ford Ranger Build on a budget

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

johnnybj

Aug 31, 2013
Looks so good man! Any hiccups?
Definitely getting used to the new suspension and torque. It drives completely different, but everything went well! The only issue was the power steering. I had a custom hose made to go from a LS1 power steering pump to a stock ford steering rack. Nothing leaked at idle. But after each run, there would be fluid all over the top of the reservoir. Almost like it was leaking from the cap.

johnnybj

Aug 31, 2013
I really suck at updating this thread, but here’s a review in the past year.

I took it out to Johnson Valley and it kept getting hot. In my first run after the engine swap in Ocotillo, I didn’t have any problems at all with overheating. Hottest it got was probably like 201. I took out the thermostat and it was all crusty. I thought it was sticking so I left it out. It got warm but it could be that the coolant was circulating too quick. Maybe I’m just in denial that the radiator could be too small...but I bought a new water pump and thermostat to find out first!

Which eventually led me to doing a full prep on the front. Painted the cage, powder coated the BTF kit, and replaced anything that was worn.

Gonna freshen up the shocks and put together the front end in the next week. Just waiting on bushings.

I also bought 2.5x14 coil overs and 3.0 x 16 triple bypasses in preparation for links!

I also have two matching spares waiting to get powder coated and another CBR transmission cooler to get plumbed in. I’ll have finished pictures soon, plan to take it out to ocotillo this Halloween. T minus 5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybj

Aug 31, 2013
how did you like the power with Lq4 and 4l80?

Is trans still controlled by computer?
It's a blast! More than enough power for my current suspension. I drove the truck once to work on the 78, and it cruised just fine in 4th gear. It was just really loud haha. I used the Holley EFI Terminator X Max so it still electronically controls the 4l80e.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds