2009 4x4 Ranger Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
Decided to do some exploring on an old local trail that was closed about a decade ago due to a rockslide.

¬
Good views.

Coming down into the canyon. This part of the trail hadn’t been driven on since the rockslide.

After many miles and hours, we come to find there was another landslide just yards from the connecting point of the trail back to pavement. You can see the highway on the left that would have made it easy. But no, we had to all turn around and head back through the overgrowth.

Then a trip to Pismo with the PolyGoats 4x4 and Off-Road Club (currently Vice President)
(PHOTOS by: Alexander Boehlen)

Lots o Pics

Excuse my old roommate Samn. He was having too much fun.

Then over summer, attended a MobArmor Meet. Lots of cool trucks, and the LS3 Tacoma by Dirt Designs

Hitting whoops. Not to graceful (Needs a respring/revalve)

8.8” ended up giving where the passenger axle tube is pressed/plug welded into the cast center section (AGAIN) So time for a 9”….
TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
So driving back home one day (SLO->Coachella), my truck was handling very weird (Wanted to oversteer on right turns at speed) Pulled over to check up on it, saw that my tire looked flat. Pulled out the gauge, was at 2psi. So now that I have on-board air (Pictures to follow). I filled it back up only to see the sidewalls had the bulges from belt separation (probably drove ~50+ miles on it when I noticed the handling). So had to put the spare tire on.

Again, on-board air to save the day! Pulled out my air impact and HF jack and got it swapped in a few minutes and back on my way. So had that one warranty replaced by America’s Tire, but MTR Kevlar’s were backordered for months, so I opted for Cooper’s new MT.

Mounted some Fox 2.0x14’s in the rear. Revalved them to 90 comp and 30 rebound. Needs a flutter stack I;m thinking. Handles the big hits well but feels to stiff in the small stuff.

Also resprung the front. Went from a 6” 1250lb. on a 12” 600lb to a 18” 550lb. Handles way better. Less body roll and I don’t need 6” of preload to get the ride height I want.

Bought stuff to revalve them as well as new rod ends, shock oil, seal kits.

Hover Truck. Rotating the tires because spool is eating up my rears. I’m biking around more so she stays at home most of the time.

VIAIR On-Board Air hiding under the bed. 2.5 gal tank and compressor tucked away.

Also, threw in a 9” with 4.88’s and a spool.

Some pics of the plated frame rails. (Excuse the welds for now)

And some driveway shots because driveways are sick.

Rear shocks peeking through. (Too bad there not blue capped foxes)

More plated frame (Excuse the welds, really want to grind it down and re-do. Did it in a hurry and not much experience with overhead welding)

Driveway glamour shot.

Just passed 51k miles. No warning lights! Yay!

Interior Shot (Mob Armor phone mount (highly recommend), CB/PA, )

Got my beadlock rings powdercoated for better color and durability.

And the new Cooper Discovery SST Pro tires! Love them so far.

Switch panel. On board air on top. Rock lights. And HID’s

Bed space with 14” travel in the rear.

Last edited:

2004xlmiller

OG Member
Jan 10, 2012
NorCal
Youre not worried about those shock mounts getting ripped off on the con? Im scared enough to drag the cast diff on my 8.8 through stuff like that.
Like the bed supports, i need me some of those for my 98.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
what id be worried about is the upper shock mount folding the frame inward. other than that i love the look at this truck! good job dude!

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
what id be worried about is the upper shock mount folding the frame inward. other than that i love the look at this truck! good job dude!
That was a concern of mine as well. Plated the frame on both sides and boxed in the lower portion as well. They would have to punch through the bed first and so far there's no evidence of deflection (no dents from shock towers pushing in the steel fender wells. Wanted to do a crossmember between the two towers but that would limit my bump travel.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds