4 projects, 1 driveway, no time

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Got a bunch of little stuff finished on my buggy and was able to take it out on a shake down test run. HOLY SHIT this thing is so fun!!
Suspension is stiff but totally usable and I'm not going to mess with it.
The 140 hp Subaru motor mated to a 5.37 bus trans in 1000-ish pound car hauls ass. Probably only maxes out at 60 but it gets there quick.
93" wheelbase handled great and was fun to throw around in the turns.
After our Tonopah sand trip next month I will put the Subaru engine in the blue baja bug and use it for my summertime daily driver.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
That is the same spot as the radiator in the manx. you are fine without a windshield but if you put one in that limited the airflow causing the manx to overheat. We added a bigger radiator with dual fans and all is good. So in the Baja I would make sure it is somewhere with really good flow or really big fans. Other thought was to build air intakes to force air into it. Just an FYi

Reactions: dose

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
When I built that manx I just picked a random radiator from the napa catalog that had the inlet/outlet where I wanted and fit in that space. If I remember it had a cheap universal fan with no shroud. I'm sure there was much room for cooling system improvement on that car. Glad to hear the manx is still going and getting updates.
I should of wired the manx fan to the ignition or temp controlled because I forgot to turn fan on more than once and got it pretty hot.
Funny because I was thinking of that when I did this one too and said fuck it, switch is easier, I wont forget again, LOL

This buggy is using the donor cars Subaru radiator because it was free and that was the easiest place to install it.

I don't like how baja bugs look with a radiator in the back or blocking rear window so I want to put it under the hood. I will get creative and do whatever it takes to get good air flow.

Reactions: dsrtrcr01

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Practiced some social distancing last weekend. The wife and I took the Baja bug out to scope out some potential camp spots near our house. It was fun to find some hidden areas we haven’t explored yet. Then the day after we took the sandrail and mini toy hauler to do a overnight trip at the spot we found. Baja bug did great and my wife even drove it for the first time. The sandrail started becoming impossible to steer after 20 or so miles so we parked it.
I feared the steering rack was fucked but turns out the drivers side spindle kingpin seized. I took it all apart, cleaned, clearances and reassembled and hopefully we will try again on my next days off.

77186169-3F8E-4F70-A75D-046769728FAF.jpeg
84DADDEA-2997-4F59-9B78-C2589B5922A4.jpeg
ADBCFB2F-708B-49BE-B8A0-FA409740A113.jpeg
8CB4618F-7956-4100-A0CB-7F2D6EABAF15.jpeg

ucd baja

#1 Pig Killer
Dec 16, 2008
Guinda, CA
In the second to last picture is that Crowley Lake in the back ground? I go down to Bishop every year for Mule Days for the whole week and always my Xploder or CJ7 explore and fish whenever I can get away from the show.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds