4 projects, 1 driveway, no time

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Rear VW trailing arms. 3" longer, 3" wider. Good for about 15" travel with 930 cvs.
Enjoy reading your build treads, been to coosbay and Florence dunes a few times, love it.
With 30" paddles you will get about 12" of travel unless you like having negative ground clearance at full bump. Still fun in a light car. Turning brakes if you don't have them all ready.

Reactions: dose

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
With 30" paddles you will get about 12" of travel unless you like having negative ground clearance at full bump. Still fun in a light car. Turning brakes if you don't have them all ready.
Copy that.
You can score some more ground clearance from angling the motor and trans up. Not sure if you factored that in.

The 3x3s will be going on the baja with some 33" super diggers or bfgs

the sandrail has plated stock size IRS arms. Not sure which tires yet but where we go my freind liked his shaved all terrains better than paddle trac tires. The sand in tonopah still has moisture in april so he thinks the ATs free up some power and wheel speed. His tired 1500 needs any help it can get.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Angled motor is great for departure angles, it does nothing for the diff which will still be the low point. Angle mounts will fuck up your shifter linkage position unless your putting a bus box in it with the 10* mounts.

33's will get you another 1.5" of travel over a paddle track. Just remember to build it around the smallest tire you plan on running.

Desert trak's are also good tires. Much lighter than AT's.

Edit: Shaved AT's, who does he think he is Robby Gordon?

Nicklovin

Snowflake
Feb 21, 2018
Orange County, CA
3.4 4x4 swapped Chinook, that's fucking awesome. Also the baja bug and Tacoma is pretty cool. Kinda debating if I want to make my daily 04 Tacoma LT or get a Baja bug already mostly done for probably cheaper

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
3.4 4x4 swapped Chinook, that's fucking awesome. Also the baja bug and Tacoma is pretty cool. Kinda debating if I want to make my daily 04 Tacoma LT or get a Baja bug already mostly done for probably cheaper
Thanks. No updates for now except the 12 feet of snow in my yard.
Hoping to get the sandrail going for our once a year 4:20 tonophah trip

Reactions: Nicklovin

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
My April dune trip is coming up soon so I have to get my shit together. I dug out the Baja and the sandrail. Ordered a bunch of stuff so hopefully get it going in time. Enough talking, pictures are better than words.

Edit. I guess my internet is too slow for pictures. I'll try later

Last edited:

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
The Baja had so much snow on it all 4 corners were bottomed out and 1 tire was flat. I had to get it out because I need to borrow her engine for the sandrail. With a shot of starting fluid she fired right up and drove out of the snow prison.

Attachments

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
The sandrail was not as easy. It was a foot or two deeper. It was also bottomed out 4 corners with 3 flats. I dug out until I found the front and tried to winch it out with my homies bad ass bronco. Like a lazy dumb ass I hooked it up to the middle of the beam and the Sandrail didn't even move. The winch was strong enough to bend the beam.
I dug it out for another hour and tried again. This time I strapped it up to the stronger corner part of the frame and we ran the winch cable through a pulley to double up the power. It broke free but took everything the bronco had.

Attachments

Reactions: Nosympin

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Pumped up the tires enough to push it on to the work area, yes that's the "driveway " in the title. Tires were 25 years old, cracked and leaked. I scored some used grabber all terrain tires from the mexican tire guy in town for the rear and the used trailer tires from first picture on the snowbank for fronts.
I love that the mexi tire guys won't even trip when you ask them to mount bald trailer tires on your buggy wheels and 10.5 tires on a 4" rim.
👍👍thanks Chavo
I cleaned up the rims and gave them a hammer grey rattle can job before the tires were installed. Even though it's a shitty ghetto rail I got to keep my rim game tight. 😉

Attachments

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Waiting on parts and days off to get more done. Looks like it's going to snow again when I'm off so that sucks. It has the shitty poly high back seats so I got shitty covers ordered. Also getting new 5 point belts, cvboots and bolts for the 3 rib 002 tran to go in. Hopefully the master cylinders aren't bad when I bleed brakes and clutch or I get to throw more $$ at it and wait another week for parts.
I need to dig out my bender to fab the engine cradle and mounts. Not looking forward to that.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds