4 projects, 1 driveway, no time

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
I've never had coilovers or 4 link before. Can anyone recommend a starting point for the secondary spring thingys?
Springs are 14" 250 and 400 on 14" shock
IMG_2047.JPG

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Yea, I would start with them up. I ran 2 ghetto like that for years.

But, I did change that when I started running bypasses up front. I am now right under coil bind in front and back I think.

Here's how it works though. Initial rate will be around half+ of the second rate.

The second rate kicks in when the springs compress enough to where the top of the spring slider hits the stops. At that point you will cross over into the rate of the lower spring and it will be a much heavier rate. (usually almost double.)

Pro's: Heavier spring rate will resist bottoming in long G-outs

Con's: Your spring rate suddenly jumps in the middle of travel. The heavy spring will make rebound harder to control at full bump/upper limits of travel.

Now, the most important part if you do spin them down. DON'T GO SO FAR IT WILL COIL BIND THE LOWER SPRING. Find out the block height of the lower spring from manufacturer. The max would be to set it at that measurement on the bench(with spring collar and slider), and leave a little wiggle room.

Reactions: dose

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Got some more done on the cage but still a couple tubes left to do hopefully this week. Sorry didn't take any pictures
Should I disconnect the airbag and how do I do that?
I want to keep the stock steering wheel for now since it has the cruise control levers on it.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds