4R70W and driveshaft plunge dilemma

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I'm currently running an Explorer 5.0/4r70w combo with a custom chevy 64" based spring pack in a single cab short bed Ranger. I'm running a 52" single piece driveshaft with the normal AOD/4r70w slip yoke. I've strapped the rear at 17" of travel due to excessive driveshaft plunge, but I'm wondering if I should strap it even sooner. I currently have 3.5 inches of driveshaft plunge, which may still be too much? I've got roughly 3" of slip yoke engagement at ride height, and roughly 2-2.25" of engagement at full bump. I could give up some more droop, strap the rear at 15", reduce plunge to roughly 2.5", and shift the axle an inch forward (or lengthen the driveshaft an inch) to gain an inch of slip yoke engagement.

Any thoughts on whether 3.5" of plunge is too much? At 2-2.25" of spline engagement at bump, I'm not sure if I'm asking for a driveshaft to pop out or not.

Also any thoughts on the 4r70w/AOD itself? The default answer for a Ranger always seems to be C4.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Perfect, appreciate the feedback. Everyone's default answer is two piece driveshafts with a fixed trans yoke, which are better of course. On a truck this short though, I figured the one piece would work plenty well.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds