4x4 B4000 Prerunner

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Apr 6, 2021
Atascadero
Good news: I got a camper shell! Paint is fine, decent tint, sliding windows with screens, one windows has curtains, new locks+key, interior is some cheap fabric but better than bare, 3rd brake light & interior as well.

Doesn’t fit great with Mazda bed sides but it looks like it’ll be ok with the fiberwerx +4. Can’t say for sure.

Bad news: stock brake hose to the caliper started leaking, pedal went to the floor. I was going to do the longer stainless lines this weekend anyway so it didn’t seem so bad. Well now I can’t figure out how to make the new line work without redoing the hard lines entirely.

I was going to do this, but I can’t seem to find a male to male 3/16 fitting that will work for the braided line. What I tried in the picture was a compression fitting. Not sure what to do other than find a make to male fitting with tapered threads (can’t remember the proper name).

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
you have a leak at the caliper but you're going to replace parts that are nowhere near the caliper?
color me confused.
anyway, is your flex line to the caliper a -3AN or is it inverted flare?
something to keep track of, because the flares are different and would cause leaks.

unrelated: welcome & glad to see another central coast 805 person here. There's a little community of polygoats + others in your area.

Reactions: Caleb.Collective
Apr 6, 2021
Atascadero
you have a leak at the caliper but you're going to replace parts that are nowhere near the caliper?
color me confused.
anyway, is your flex line to the caliper a -3AN or is it inverted flare?
something to keep track of, because the flares are different and would cause leaks.

unrelated: welcome & glad to see another central coast 805 person here. There's a little community of polygoats + others in your area.
The stock rubber hose to the caliper was leaking. Needed to do the braided line anyway, so that’s why I’m trying to figure this stuff out now.

I believe it’s inverted flare. How can I tell the difference for sure? I’m new to brake lines.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
The stock rubber hose to the caliper was leaking. Needed to do the braided line anyway, so that’s why I’m trying to figure this stuff out now.

I believe it’s inverted flare. How can I tell the difference for sure? I’m new to brake lines.
all those brake lines are inverted flare. dont use compression fitting stuff, its not rated for brake line pressure and doesnt seal correctly. if you need that female/female/male style fitting, what Drayke posted is what you need.

Apr 6, 2021
Atascadero
all those brake lines are inverted flare. dont use compression fitting stuff, its not rated for brake line pressure and doesnt seal correctly. if you need that female/female/male style fitting, what Drayke posted is what you need.
Yeah I figured out the compression fitting wasn’t going to work pretty quickly. And do you mean that T junction that I posted is what I need? Sure as hell hope it is because I already ordered it.

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
probably, i didn't post anything.

my point was to make sure that you match the fitting type and then you can pretty much cobble together any system you need with enough fittings but more joints means more leak paths, keep that in mind.
Telling the difference between between AN & inverted flare is going to be tough, the angles are slightly different. you kinda just gotta know or have a crusty old dude (Earl's in Hawthorne, CA for example) that can see that shit from across the counter, lol.

a male to male adapter is called a coupling, for what it's worth. to help with your googling.

Reactions: Caleb.Collective
Apr 6, 2021
Atascadero
Alright no huge progress this weekend. Got the brake lines done, replaced the bleeder screws, and painted the calipers black.

While trying to lay out a design for the crossmember, I broke the heater core valve nipple off in the hose. Got a new valve and then replaced the hose and routed it a little differently.

Im most likely going to make the crossmember out of 1 1/5 .120. Center section that goes over the engine will be removable. Hoping to run two tubes parallel to each other & and plate it between with 1/8. Nothing too fancy.

Also thinking about switching to a more compact coolant overflow tank.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds