4x4 dbl cab tacoma build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I started fitting up a McNeil prism dash. It's a little out of order but I figured the wiring would be a good break when I get burnt out on fab work. It still needs to go up about an inch and forward a couple of inches. It creates a massive gap in the front and I'm not sure how to close it up. I guess I could put some kind of valence across the lower section of the windshield to block it. seems weird it was made that way though

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
First part painted! I'm hoping when I put in the tranny/transfer case it will be for the last time. For now I'm not worrying about 4wd. I just want to get her running and then I'll worry about the drive shaft, gearing, and front axles

I got the steering mocked up again with stronger pieces. I used a laser level against the ceiling to measure the angles. It worked pretty well actually. Just shy of 30 degrees each way.

The steering box swings a lot more than I thought it did so I'm only using 3 turns out of 4 to go lock to lock. I designed for 60 degrees of swing and it's closer to 90 I think. Is this an issue or can I just leave it like that? To fix it, I would need to change the geometry and location of the intermediate swinger.

For my front brakes, should I run a hard line on the upper arm and do flex at the spindle and frame joint or run all flex? The flex line would be 4' which seems like a really long run. Also, the caliper has a NPT fitting. Can I run a AN fitting directly in there or do I need a banjo bolt for some reason?

Reactions: Drayke

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I figured out the steering. I was only using 60 degrees and the steering box swings 85 degrees. That turns 4.25 turns to 3 turns. I decided to change the geometry a bit. I'll use 75 degrees to give me a total of 3.75 turns lock to lock. The arm get's an inch shorter and I move it 1.21" forward.

Before

After

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds