4x4 dbl cab tacoma build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, I would do the rez too if the oil was nasty. Oh and I see you getting all fancy with the Fox fluid!!

I am gonna pony up and use it in bypasses on G4. For now I took the fox factory stuff out of coil overs and saved it for use in bypass rebuild. (Gonna run PS fluid in CO's for now)

HOWEVER>>> if you want to save some money next time. I have read that F&L Ultra Extreme Shock fluid is the same stuff.... and been told by F&L "It's Fox compatible" or some shit. Whatever that means. LOL. Seems like they couldn't admit it was the same.

There is a distributor up in LA and one here in SD too. (cant remember actual place. I called F&L last time and they told me)

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
this is good info. back when i was racing and going through my shocks more often I bought oil in 5 gallon bucks it was shell DTE something or another... actually seemed to last longer before burning in my shocks and was quite a bit cheaper than the king oil I was using at the time.

Reactions: the bodj and dose

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Yeah the oil is damn expensive. I'm definitely up to try something different. The only reason I got the fancy fluid is because it was a suggested item when i was checking out with the rebuild kits. Damn advertising. It would be a cool experiment to put fox oil in one shock and F&L in the other, assuming they had the same viscosity.

Reactions: dose

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Im ready to do some shocks soon and would be interested in a less expensive alternative. King oil at Kartek is the the best value if found in my minimal research. I would run shell or F&L if it was a good deal. Im cheap AF

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Im ready to do some shocks soon and would be interested in a less expensive alternative. King oil at Kartek is the the best value if found in my minimal research. I would run shell or F&L if it was a good deal. Im cheap AF
Years ago someone posted a study on different oils. The result was that ATF was the best bang for the buck and I believe it actually performed better than king branded oil, which was the same as the shell stuff. I could be totally wrong...

Also depends on how hot your shocks get. If they get trophy truck hot, get the better oil. If not, any hydraulic fluid will “work”. ATF has good heat and cleaning properties. Not sure the benefit of PS, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Yup, I think most people overthink the oil thing when talking play trucks. Through the early 2000s, most teams were apparently using plain old hydraulic fluid. AW32/AW22/ATF/PS fluid, etc. From what I've read, the high tech stuff has advantages in extreme high heat situations, but is far from necessary for your average truck.

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Yup, I think most people overthink the oil thing when talking play trucks. Through the early 2000s, most teams were apparently using plain old hydraulic fluid. AW32/AW22/ATF/PS fluid, etc. From what I've read, the high tech stuff has advantages in extreme high heat situations, but is far from necessary for your average truck.
NICE, I work at a powerplant so there is a lot of Chevron GST 32, 46, and 100 "available"
GST 32 = 10w
GST 46 = 15w
GST 100 = 30w
ATF = 10w

I should try the 32 in my sandrail shocks since the price is right

Reactions: Turboyota

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
From research I have done in days of boredom... high viscosity index is supposedly a real important part. (I believe that means it has a small change in viscosity over a large temp range)

Note: This comes from a guy who has been running Napa PS fluid in his shocks for years and years!! LOL

But, when I do buy the expensive stuff. I will be getting it from F&L. I cant remember.. but it was a lot less than Fox. maybe 30-35 a gallon?

For now, G4 is getting fancy stuff only in the 3.5 bypasses. They will be doing most the work. Don't think my CO's will get terribly hot with the valving they have... but, maybe I will switch them out too at some point.

2Ghetto is getting Napa PS for life! haha. $13 a gallon is hard to argue with. (I got a killer deal yrs ago at a Napa sale and got it for less than that i think. I bought boxes of that shit.)

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I remember another main thing with ATF is that it’s always (pretty much) the same. No matter where you get it or when you get it.

The other big thing to remember when tuning is to use the same kind of oil when you revalve so you can eliminate variables. If you used ATF, then want to change a shim, use ATF again. Or whatever oil you went with. Then if you want to change the oil to something better, do so without any other changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds