4x4 dbl cab tacoma build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Hopefully I don't fuck up either but thanks for the offer guys. I already have a change in the cutouts but I should be able to modify without being too ugly. I'll eventually have a heater/defrost so that's going to fuck my layout too

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I finally got another good session in on the truck over the weekend.

I secured the steering lines. I drilled out these separator clamps so I can hard mount them. This is a #12 self tapping screw
View attachment 222150
View attachment 222151

nice I was thinking of drilling mine out for a button head through bolt to frame

And damn...you have made tons of progress since i went on vacation before xmas!!

Reactions: jonsangel

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I got the last fitting for the coolant lines in after selling a kidney for it. It just clears the upper at bump. I got pretty lucky

I was originally planning to run my original brake setup (stock tacoma master cylinder and brake booster) and hope for the best but after thinking about it longer it seemed like it wasn't a good fit for the big brakes I was using and I didn't want to have to redo the brakes if it was wrong. I used some math and some estimations and figured I needed something around a 1-1.125" master cylinder. I decided to start with a 1" MC and see how that feels. The stock tacoma is a 13/16 so it should be a pretty big difference over stock.

After doing some research, I couldn't find an elegant way to adapt an aftermarket MC onto my brake booster which I really wanted to keep. A little more research uncovered that I could swap both my MC and brake booster with a 96 4 runner for less than half the price of the wilwood MC I needed. The brake booster is a dual diaphragm vs the single stock tacoma one, so I also got an upgrade on the booster. The MC is a 1" and there is a 1 1/16" option from a t100 if I need to go bigger. It was almost a direct bolt in but I had to ditch a spacer so the fluid reservoir would fit. That made me have to cut down the push rod. Other than that it was an easy swap. Enough with the blabbering, more pics

Old vs new

old pushrod

New Pushrod

Modified Pushrod

Installed

I used a brass fitting with the center cut out to keep the pushrod straight while i tacked it back on after shortening it. I meant to leave more unthreaded section for the weld but after I added a chamfer I ended up back in the threads. Oh well, should be fine

FlapJack935

Oh i Member
Jun 26, 2017
New Mexico
Interesting, i need to start thinking of brakes soon and i was undecided on a master and crap. This seems like a sweet idea, saves a tad of space also it looks?

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Interesting, i need to start thinking of brakes soon and i was undecided on a master and crap. This seems like a sweet idea, saves a tad of space also it looks?
The brake booster is about an inch smaller in diameter. If you use the spacer it'll be about ~.5 longer though

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I got most of the dash stuff installed. I need find my wideband sensor buried in the garage somewhere. Not sure what I'll put in the other open gauge spot if any. I left two switches open in case I want to add something down road as well.

I originally was going to hard mount the tablet on the dash but decided with this magnetic mount in case I ended up with a bigger tablet. I recessed it about an inch so it didn't stick so far out

Now I need to start wiring this bad boy

dalandser

Sep 30, 2017
Interested to see what the brakes feel like. I've got a stock 98 Taco dual diaphragm booster that came on all Tacomas 95.5-00 and any Tacomas without ABS from 01-04. The one caveat I have to add to your MC / booster options is that the T100 MC will fit my Tacoma dual diaphragm booster only because it has 4 studs it bolts to like my dual diaphragm booster rather than the 2 stud booster you have. If it came to it I think that you'd be able to swap in a Taco booster and try the 1 1/16 MC.

FlapJack935

Oh i Member
Jun 26, 2017
New Mexico
Gonna have to remember that tablet mount, I was gonna mount mine just on the passenger side dash area. Might use that idea to rotate to the driver a tad instead of being flat.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds