4x4 dbl cab tacoma build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Yikes, my build is buried on page 4. I need to make some progress... I got the dash in and got everything wired up and went to start the truck and wasn't getting any ignition. I troubleshot my wiring and couldn't figure out what was happening...then it hit me. I removed the oil pressure sensor on the back of the block to put in an oil temp gauge. It was allegedly only used for a dummy light which I think is true on some LS's but not others. Well unfortunately, i was the other. I had to pull the dash and the firewall panel to get the sensor back in. Once I did that she fired right up. I hadn't run the motor with the actual fuel components.

Since I had the dash out, I decided to connectorize everything. It was a pain in the ass to try and wire everything behind the dash when it was in. I already had a 24 pin connector and I added another plus two 6 pins and one 2 pin connector. That will allow me to take out the dash much easier and also put the connectors on the truck side without the dash installed. Mas better. Wiring was definitely a bigger job than I anticipated.

Motor should be up and running tomorrow with the real wiring.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm just using weather pack connectors. The pin density isn't great but they're super easy to make (and redo)

Kit:

6 Pin:

Bulkhead: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AWW-500666

For my terminal connections, I'd highly recommend these. They are so much better than the stupid insulated terminals

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I forgot to take a picture of the finished wiring but here's everything before the dash went in.

Before for comparison:

So after all of that, I went to fire up and it still wouldn't start. I found out that the contact switch on the shifter that prevents you from starting in gear can't pass enough current to the starter relay. That's my theory anyway. I bypassed the switch and had better luck....but still not good luck. I added coolant to check for leaks but I should have waited until I had it running again. I'm not sure if my issues are related to that or not but now the motor wont idle. I can get it to run when I have the throttle partially down but it dies when I let off. I haven't had much time to troubleshoot yet. Next step is to hook up the OBD to see if it's throwing codes

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I'm just using weather pack connectors. The pin density isn't great but they're super easy to make (and redo)

Kit:

6 Pin:

Bulkhead: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AWW-500666

For my terminal connections, I'd highly recommend these. They are so much better than the stupid insulated terminals
Sweet.

And yea, hate the insulated terminals We cut crap plastic insulation off a bunch of crap ones we had and did heat shrink on other trucks.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy gears from? I need to regear to 4.88. Thanks

EDIT: well it looks like I can't get 4.88 in a 9in, only 4.86. My options are to run 4.88 in the front and 4.86 in the rear or run both at 4.56. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds