4x4 dbl cab tacoma build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I got the last part for the driveshaft in and have a problem. I didn't realize that the end yoke for the CV needed to be different and the carrier bearing I got comes with a end yoke that doesn't work with a CV. From My understanding the carrier bearing should have a companion flange instead of a yoke. Then the CV should have a CV socket on one side and a ball stud tube yoke on the other.

Companion Flange

Ball Stud Tube Yoke

CV Socket Yoke

You can see the CV is saggy titties without the ball to line up the yokes...

My plasma is also out so I have to cut out parts like a caveman using a cutouff wheel

This how I lined up the centerlines

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
fuck, I'm so confused. Do I even need a CV? I thought they were required if you had a carrier bearing
You only need a CV when you want your pinion angle pointed at your CV. (Usually short wheelbase crawlers with lots of droop have to do this)

You don't need a CV if you can get your pinion angle close to the drivetrain/engine/trans angle.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
That^^^^^ CV's are for getting the last .69" of travel when you have a shitty short driveshaft. Or you fucked up on the angles somewhere. You're much better off without one, less parts to break, cheaper to maintain.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Sorry.... was out in the dez blowing a tranny!! LOL. But, killer idea on using cardboard for d-shaft mockup. I just fucking went for it.

And hold on there... did I put the poly on that mount wrong??? I put the poly bushings on either side of the metal.
ie/ Bolt head, poly bushing, carrier, metal mount, poly bushing, then washer/nut. I also shaved off the stupid raised portions

I started with it assembled like you had it.... but thought it was wacked looking. Shit, wonder if my teeth are gonna vibrate out now.

And if i switch and put them your way... I bet my angles wil be off.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I had some of that cardboard tube in my garage from mocking up exhaust. We have it at work for days from ordering metal from McMaster.

If you have metal to metal wouldn't that defeat the purpose of isolators? In a normal carrier bearing, the bearing is surrounded by rubber so it can move independent of the mount. That's what i was trying to replicate. If the carrier is vibrating like you have it, I would imagine that the carrier and mount would chatter since it could separate and slam back together. It'll change the mid shaft about 1.5 degrees and the main shaft probably less than a degree. You could try and move it and if it give you issues try cutting it in half?

The bolt wasn't even long enough to keep the raised parts or I would have maybe considered leaving it.

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Is that double cardon brand new? I feel like mine has been clapped out for years but Toyota made it so you can't simply rebuild it with new u joints. I did read somewhere it's possible with some unknown part # for a different u joint. If you ditch it I might be willing to take it off your hands...

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
OK... you had same issue.. bolts were too short right from beginning!

Shit, maybe I will do what you said and cut bushing in half and put it in between metal. But them the washers/nuts could potentially chatter at that point too?

I also thought about sandwiching some rubber in there. Maybe this would be best idea?

I have seen other carrier bearings like this with sealed bearings... that are straight hard mounted to chassis! So, I wasn't sure which way to go.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds