5.0l ranger college build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
i pick up one of those tables when they 1st started up. i think i was on batch 2.. still in my shed. some day i will get it out of the box or just sell it..

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Awesome thanks man! I was thinking i was doing something wrong. Ya mine is pretty budget too. Langmuir systems is good value but its definitely not the same quality as a brand name.
Yeah I'm blanking on the name of my table, but it uses a plasmacam controller with a very old software and a HF plasma torch. For my uses it works great, but for something like sign making where you don't want to spend much time cleaning up, a better unit would be more beneficial

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Holy Tits that was a lot of work. They whole time I was just telling my self, no more scotch brite and wd40 though... it helped

Got my ghetto tow setup so i could get it out of the garage and up the street to our equipment yard.

Then started sand blasting. Took way more media than I thought. 35 50lb bags of coal slag. none of it was reusable.

Then hit it with the steelit. Flew through 2 gallons in the gun, and wasnt even close to done so i finished it off with 2 cases of rattle cans. They want this stuff thick, like 3 mils. A normal pattern with a rattle can is 1 mil so that means 3 hefty coats.

It turned out pretty good, There are some rough spots that im pretty sure is just overspray. Ill hit it with a light wet scotch brite to knock down the bumps. I am for sure no painter but I'm planning to wrap the cab and glass anyway.

Lessons learned:
-Use fine grit coal slag. The heavy leaves the surface too rough
-buy the blast material in a bulk bag, the 50lb bags are too expensive.
-the bigger spray gun makes quick work of large areas but a smaller gun or just rattle cans will have less waste when you are just painting tubes.
-Takes about 4-5 gallons to spray a single cab ranger everywhere with the jungle gym of tubes
-Sand blasting sucks
-I'm never doing this again.

Last edited:

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Man, your lucky you didn't warp the sheetmetal hitting it with black beauty.
I was careful on the doors. Luckily the square body rangers still have pretty thick sheet metal, definitely would not have tried that on the newer stuff. I did warp the roof but it was already wrinkly from standing on it trying to get cell reception when broken down... errr I mean when I was in the winners circle celebrating hahah

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
What’s the story behind the severely dented/ clearanced front bumper tubes?
Some 1450 Foos at Rage at the River wouldn't get out of my way so I sent 'em for a ride. I go for the 3 hit rule. Start with the horn, first hit is a light tap, second is a strong nudge, then the third is a wammy! I had to send a few guys for a ride. This bumper has a couple good hits left before I retire it hahah

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Some 1450 Foos at Rage at the River wouldn't get out of my way so I sent 'em for a ride. I go for the 3 hit rule. Start with the horn, first hit is a light tap, second is a strong nudge, then the third is a wammy! I had to send a few guys for a ride. This bumper has a couple good hits left before I retire it hahah
Is it considered bad/wrong to add angle iron to the bumper? I would think it is bad for a front bumper but a rear is just protection.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds