5.0l ranger college build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Do not go down in size on the radiator line. Run as much hard line as possible with the fewest joints. Flow restrictions need to be kept under control with lines that long.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Long Story Short: It Runs! (Again)

Alternator bracket fixes, its a 4130 insert into the aluminum to prevent galling/give it more strength. I didnt get any installed pictures because its buried in the engine compartment and hard to see.

New power steering bracket to get the fittings away from the header

I attempted to weld a scab plate on the power steering box. It didnt work that great. Took it to Howe to get reassembled and they didnt appreciate my welding skills. Threw some much better beads on it and pressure tested. Those guys are awesome, that slid me in for a 1 day turnaround!

Had to Install a scavenge pump since the driver side turbo was blowing out out the exhaust. The drain lines are too flat to drain properly into the drysump tank. Didnt get any pictures of that. Its noisy and annoying but works and once you fire the truck up you cant hear it at all.

Also did a bunch of nitpicky stuff like fix some zerk fittings and put fancy little plastic caps on em.

Reactions: themoneypit

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Dyno didnt go great. But it also didn't go terrible! YAY

Seems that I have fixed the alternator and accessory bracket issues, tracks smooth as silk now (apart from a delaminated belt I had to swap out, it was obviously just very old, thanks again jones racing products)

Motor is quite a bit healthier than the old built by me one. Its demanding more air at RPM. The downside of that is we found the limit of the old TBI (holley terminator) system. Cylinder to cylinder distribution is WAY off, (ranged between 10 and 14.5 AFR between the two banks). We have also reached the max amount of fuel the tbi can inject. the AFR didn't drop at all when we added more fuel. Meaning we took the injector duty cycle from 70% to 90% and it didn't change the AFR run to run by anything measurable. In the Holley TBI it injects into these annular rings to more evenly disperse the fuel. I chalk it up to these rings not being big enough to flow the fuel. All of this was done on the lowest boost setting (5psi) so it would only get worse on higher levels. It only made 440whp because the distribution was so far off. and with no real way to fix that with this system I was pretty much stuck. The motor wont live long with those numbers so its not safe to continue driving like that. The good news is my fuel pump and supply system was rock solid at 60psi under boost the whole time, the motor stayed very cool, oil pressure and temp were also great. So its healthy and ready to eat!

Now for how I'm going to fix it. going to ditch the 80s chevy tech and join the 21rst century!

Multi port fuel injection manifold, LS 95MM throttle body, and some big boy injectors. Luckily holley has made this incredibly easy for me to accomplish. It will plug into my existing management system, all just bolt on parts. Everything (with a bit of luck) will be here by tomorrow, so I can throw it on this weekend. This will allow us to go pretty wild. I am very excited.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
You are correct its not REALLY meant for boost, I just got lucky the first time around that it worked ok. TBH it was never great. Couldnt really get it to idle properly. It always had problems going from full throttle to zero, it would try to die. Mostly because its a "wet plenum" design like a carb, so when you do quick throttle movements it doesnt actually respond immediately with fuel, it takes a fraction of a second to atomize, and then when you chop the throttle closed there is still a bunch of leftover fuel in the intake, making it super rich for a second.

Luckily Holley has some universal harnesses for the HP system. for example you plug into the harness with a separate coil harness that "adapts" to whatever coils you are running. Same goes for the injector harness.

Here is the full parts list im using:

Intake:

Main Harness:

Injector harness:

Coils and harness I already have:

throttle body (ill steal the TPS, MAP, and IAC from my Terminator throttle body):

Injectors:

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Long ago I had a blow through set-up on a Mustang. It was a Paxton with the carb in a box deal. Granted, it was only running 7PSI, but it didn't have any of the issues you are describing. Why? The box was large enough that it didn't effect the airflow around the top of the carb. FWIW, I have had the same issues on NA motors with those stupid little hats and UMP's. The only ones that ever worked were at least 10" in dia and designed so that the inlet flow didn't fuck with the carb.

The new set-up will solve those but you need to pay attention to the merge for the inlet pipes. Get it wrong and it will also give you fit's.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Long ago I had a blow through set-up on a Mustang. It was a Paxton with the carb in a box deal. Granted, it was only running 7PSI, but it didn't have any of the issues you are describing. Why? The box was large enough that it didn't effect the airflow around the top of the carb. FWIW, I have had the same issues on NA motors with those stupid little hats and UMP's. The only ones that ever worked were at least 10" in dia and designed so that the inlet flow didn't fuck with the carb.

The new set-up will solve those but you need to pay attention to the merge for the inlet pipes. Get it wrong and it will also give you fit's.
My merge is actually the intercooler so hopefully I wont have any issues there. inlets come into the outside bottom of the intercooler and collect in the top plenum. the top plenum has a pretty big volume and should mix the air well right before it goes into the throttle body. What do you think? it probably not optimal but thats about the best I could come up with for packaging.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Does the outline on the cooler have a nice radius on it or is it just a tube welded in? Optimally, it would be wedged shaped with a large radius to each side extending to roughly the centers of the 2 cores.

Other than that, it's a pretty good setup.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds