5.0l ranger college build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
You should post some up close detailed pics of that failure when you get it apart, so people can see what the weak point was.

Looks like the plating having a void right at the bend didn't help.

Reactions: maxwell279

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
That's a sweet trailer. Ranger looks good too. Ha Assuming that's the baja trophy truck trailer. Their site does not list any prices. Went to see what they run but no luck.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
That's a sweet trailer. Ranger looks good too. Ha Assuming that's the baja trophy truck trailer. Their site does not list any prices. Went to see what they run but no luck.
Reach out to Carlos through the website, he is very quick to respond and there are LOTS of options on the trailers. Base flat bed Starts out at 5,950 which is high for a drive over fender trailer, but the additions are very reasonably priced. This one was $15,500. Beware they are built to order and have a bit of wait list. I got super lucky that this one was available. Guy who spec'ed it out needed a different layout on the tool boxes. Understandably that prices a lot of people out on the trailer, but doing the math if I were to try to build something similar it would cost me more and it would not have came out as nice as this thing. Real professionals.

I can email you the price sheet I got which lists their standard options, and there is plenty more custom touches added if you want.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
That's cool. I was picturing about 10k without the fuel station and stuff which is probably about right. I will look into them once I go RV/trailer and sell the trailer I have.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Starting on getting body panels on this thing. Ended up with Fiberworks but these are definitely not made to fit 40s. Toying around with the idea of spacing them off the body and making some trick aluminum ducting that will funnel air towards the rear shocks to aid in cooling. Anybody worked with an aluminum fab guy in san diego county?

Also I twisted the spare driveshaft (second one so far) so its time to upgrade. Hope I can make a 1480 fit but its offering some challenges finding the correct output adapter for my C6 trans which has a 1 3/8" 10 Spline output shaft. This one is close, but it looks like the sealing OD is about 0.01 inches Larger. Could probably trim it down, but I would prefer to go with a regular yoke, not a flange. Just one more thing to fail right?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
1480? Holy shit that big. 1410's are big enough.

CRB in san marcos for aluminum work. Get in your time machine and go back a couple months and make an appointment cause he's usually 2-6mo's out.

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
1480? Holy shit that big. 1410's are big enough.

CRB in san marcos for aluminum work. Get in your time machine and go back a couple months and make an appointment cause he's usually 2-6mo's out.
Damn that sucks, i guess i could muddle through it for now on my own, and schedule it for later with the pros.

Argument I heard is the cross on a 1410 is about the same size/marginally bigger than the 1350 with just little extensions to make it a wider joint, so it only has marginally better strength, and the same size bearing caps as 1350. 1480 is the same overall size as 1410 but with a beefier cross and bigger caps. And that's what the trophy trucks run so I want to be cool like them haha

Source: https://www.crawlpedia.com/u_joints.htm

Last edited:

bajabugmobbin

Jan 17, 2008
Escondido
Sourced a 1480 trans yoke from High Angle Driveline, guy was really cool, was raving about how the C6 is a much better option than the TH400 since it actually has a bearing in the output, vrs the busing in the TH400. The trans ended up being a 1 3/8" 10 spline output shaft, little small for my liking, but its a 300m unit from Culhane so hopefully its ok. I'm sure the Reid case 400 has a bearing now, but its cool to know those little details. I'm still hopeful this C6 will stand up to the power level, only time will tell.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds