7.3 powerstroke build questions

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Matt.kaerche

Feb 28, 2019
Florida
Hello all, I’m getting interested in building a pre-runner ish truck for our dirt roads and sand trails here in south Florida. I’m also a diesel head so that’s what dictating my truck selection. So far I’m looking for a 94-97 f250 with the 7.l psd, 2wd. So far I’m thinking:
Front: extend radius arms, dual or bigger single and longer shocks. Maybe f150 4” lift springs or something to bump ride height a tad but give more travel. Glass fenders and a bumper to give me clearance for some 35s, and sway bar disconnect
Rear: sway bar disconnect, longer shocks and longer shackles and/or shackle flip for travel. I’m wanting to keep the stock springs for pulling/work. And maybe pull the bedsides for tire clearance. And a locker or weld the rear end.

Overall keeping the truck cheapish. I’m not looking for a truck to jump and do 80. Just something I can cruise or dirt roads and run some of the sand trails in the glades. Last note I choose 2wd due to the price people want for 4x4 down here and the fact most of them are/were mud trucks. Also planning on carrying stuff like a traction board, shovel, come-along, and compressor to air up.

So what do you guys think, is this rediculous? Anything you would add to the front or rear? I’m pretty handy with fab/welding so would be making most of the stuff myself.

Thanks guys!!

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Welcome to the site!

2wd is good to look for, and if you want 4x4, its an easy swap and way cheaper than buying a 4x4. We have that issue in CA with the OBS F-150's. sounds like a nice simple setup and will give you what you need. Only thing id say is don't worry about fiberglass fenders, you should be able to clear 35's with no issues. I know of a few broncos and trucks that ran 35's with stock suspension, just some minor trimming to the bumper. being 2wd, it will sit lower than the 4x4's so you will probably need a lift to clear 35's, but you were already planning that anyway.

Matt.kaerche

Feb 28, 2019
Florida
Yes I was first going to see if I needed them at all, but the few I’ve seen were totally stuffed with just 33s. And once I started lifting it too much it would mess with the alignment too much, so my thinking was the fender would let me run a lot larger tire while not lifting the truck via suspension.

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
What you are describing is a lifted 2wd truck. Focus on performance, put the best/biggest shocks you can on the front. Hold out for coilovers if at all possible. You will also need to do something to correct the alignment when the ride height goes up, an aftermarket alignment eccentric is only good for about 2" of lift.

Matt.kaerche

Feb 28, 2019
Florida
Ya, so I was trying to avoid lifting the truck via the suspension and run larger tires instead to achieve clearance, that’s why I mentioned the fenders and 35s. 10-4 on the shocks. That’s what I was thinkin. Any ideas for springs I could use or just forget touching them and save for coilovers in the front?

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Yes I was first going to see if I needed them at all, but the few I’ve seen were totally stuffed with just 33s. And once I started lifting it too much it would mess with the alignment too much, so my thinking was the fender would let me run a lot larger tire while not lifting the truck via suspension.
give it a shot and see, if you know you want 35's, throw on some 35's and see what you have to do. if you do have to get glass, get Autofab's Ashley fenders. you may be fine on fenders, but will have to trim the bumper, which you would also have to do with the glass fenders. Also if you are doing radius arms, you can push the beam forward a bit to get some more clearance on the backside.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds