75’ C10 Tube Chassis

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
Hey what’s up dudes, I decided to finally start a build thread for my square body I’m building. I bought a long bed 1975 Chevy C10 with a 350 and a granny gear manual 3 speed tranny on June 17th 2016. Total farm truck haha. Bought it off a Marine on Camp Pendleton and stopped by Pizza Port in Carlsbad to celebrate 🍻. I then at max speed of 65mph drove the truck up to Ramona, CA were me and my good friend Garrett Peterson aka Corrosive Design immediately gutted it to nothing at his place. I bought a pre-smog Chevy with full intentions to build it into a full tube chassis centermounted and 4 - linked prerunner. I also wanted a 3rd generation C10 for the common availability which made made for a cheaper starting platform and if God forbid I ever roll her a new cab will be much easier to acquire and fiberglass availability is much easier with gen 3s then older C10s. Anyways the following morning after purchase we rented a backhoe and took the cab off, then sold the rest of the C10 still turn key and with a full functioning bed as a parts donor truck to a fellow C10 owner a few days later. It was then that largest money pit of my life would unfold haha... I’ll post pictures the day I got it and up to were the truck is now with some details along the way these next few days. Good to be back on DR guys 👍🏻🤙🏻🏁 Here is how my project began and 2 current picts of the truck.

How I felt:

Last edited:

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
After many hours grinding and sawing the 45 year old cab apart out first major move was to get a full sized jig centered under the cab. We than began laying out base tubes on the floor and placing the bulkhead and link pivot locations in relation to the cab for the wheelbase we wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: S00TLYFE

wrightracing.net

Feb 12, 2009
San Diego, CA
www.wrightracing.net
Hey what’s up dudes, decided to finally start a build thread for my square body I’m building. I bought a 1975 Chevy C10 with a 350 and a manuel 4 speed on June 17th 2016. Bought it off a Marine on Camp Pendleton and stopped by Pizza Port in Carlsbad to celebrate . I then drove the truck up to Ramona, CA were me and Garrett Peterson aka Corrosive Design immediatly gutted it to nothing. I bought a pre-smog truck with full intentions to build it into a full tube chassis centermounted and 4 - linked prerunner. Anyways the following morning after purchase we rented a cat and took the cab off, then sold the rest of the C10 still turn key and with a full functioning bed as a parts truck to a fellow C10 owner a few days later. It was then that largest money pit of my life would unfold haha... I’ll post pictures the day I got it and up to were the truck is now with some details along the way these next few days. Good to be back on DR guys
Great job on the front end. It will be great to see it in the dirt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ColesCoffin_13

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
Moving forward we got most of the structural tubes of the cab bent, notched and tac’d into place. The main structural tubing is 4130 chromoly 2.00" .120 wall and the filler/ support tubing is 4130 1.75" .90 wall on the whole chassis BTW. Thanks to my friends Scott and Anthony at Camburg I bought a 4.00 housing and 2.5” hubs all around.

Last edited:

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
Next stage on the truck was heading aft with the backhalf. I can’t express the amount of time was spent bracing the chassis to the jig followed by triple measurements from all angles before laying tubes. Not having a factory frame rail to hold the truck together and be able to make measurements off is definitely a game changer 😂👌🏻. I can't express how much we learned from this complete tube chassis experience. My truck received a joke nickname at this point as “The Shed built Trophy Truck” as the last picture shows LOL.

Last edited:

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
By 2018 we had most of the structural tubing in the cab, bedcage and bulkhead in place. Unfortunately Garrett’s landlord decided she wanted to sell the property so Garrett had to weld up most of the chassis so the jig would no longer be necessary and to solidly the chassis in order for it to be moved. What "fun" that surprise was to us. We also covered all the steel on my truck with steel-it. On April 9th 2018 my C10 saw daylight for the first time in 2 years and was moved because of closing shop. The truck would then sit for about a year waiting for an opportunity to continue working on it once more...

Last edited:

ColesCoffin_13

Low Budget Astronaut
Jan 7, 2021
Las Vegas
So after working with Luke McMillin's team again for about a year Garrett started working out of shop with our friend Kevin Butts or his shop QuiXotic Motorsports. Mid March - early April of 2019 Garrett built my lower arms and trailing arms, Kevin designed my spindles, upper arms and bulkhead on CAD and cut them out for us. Notice they are very "similar" to Blake Wilkey's Trophy Truck Bug he is currently building. Hint hint* haha. With limited space we wanted to get as much done before getting the trucks chassis in the shop. I got Ultra Wheel Beadlocks, King 14" coilovers, a Howe 3.0 TT rack , 5 37" BFG Project KRT's and a few other things we needed during this time as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds