87 4Runner Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Might be valve cover. Those grommets get old and the nuts bottom out and the studs so the valve cover gasket stops sealing well. 22re performance sells a sweet billet half moon set and grommet eliminator kits that keep that from happening ever again.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Just ran some dye in the oil and can see a pretty nice little stream from the headgasket. There was a ton of oil after driving it to work the other day, so the leak either gets worse or other leaks develop when it's hot. Never an issue with overheating though

Unrelated I think, but it looks like a small coolant leak from behind the motor.

The picture is the passenger side of the motor, just behind the timing cover

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SoupGFX

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Is it definitely the head or possibly that top corner of the timing cover? Mine leaked there when i first got it cause the guy that rebuilt it didn’t trim the corners of the gasket. A little black silicone and it was fixed.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Is it definitely the head or possibly that top corner of the timing cover? Mine leaked there when i first got it cause the guy that rebuilt it didn’t trim the corners of the gasket. A little black silicone and it was fixed.
I did think it was the timing cover but after seeing where the oil is coming from, its definitely the head.

I'll back it out of the garage and run it a bit more to see if there are other leaks or indicators. Running it in my garage was starting to gas me out.

Doesn't the head have to come off to do the timing cover?

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
I did think it was the timing cover but after seeing where the oil is coming from, its definitely the head.

I'll back it out of the garage and run it a bit more to see if there are other leaks or indicators. Running it in my garage was starting to gas me out.

Doesn't the head have to come off to do the timing cover?

It does not "Have" to come off but it makes the job a lot easier. Or the pan coming down does the same thing.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Fixing oil leaks is messy and boring so I decided to fix up the interior a bit. Threw a genetic carpet kit in and sealed all the holes from the bedcage with neoprene rubber sheets.

The holes rubber isnt a perfect seal around the bypasses but it's really more of a splash and dust/fume guard anyway the holes around the cage are really well sealed and the rubber is soft enough that I think it will take up any flex. The carpet is rubber backed so should help with keeping anything out. Also hoping for just a little less noise back there.

Then I decided that my V6 4.30 third might be worth a small amount of money as-is (these oem Toyota purest guys are weird like that) so I got an elocker third to regear. Waiting on the 4.88s to show up in the mail .

Mandatory mega cluttered workbench for precision install

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
4runner was not ready for a trip to Reno so I took my Tundra. First time with that truck in the dirt and it did ok but did not do well in even medium sized bumps.

Pulled the head gasket on the 4runnsr and shit was rusty as hell. Someone had been running straight H2O for a long time I think. Some of the water passages were heavily corroded. The machine shop also had to repair some damage on the head. Could've gone to a non-turbo remanufactured head but decided to stick to repairs and running what I had

Underside of the exhaust manifold was repaired horribly and had a crack. Was planning on running an ebay turbo manifold at some point anyway but they come from China and had 12 week shipping estimates. So I bought an LCE manifold.

Injectors o-rings and grommets were cracked so I sent them out to be flow tested and cleaned. Waiting to get those back and then I can put the rest of the motor together.

I had a local shop quote me $1200 for an aluminum skidplate to be cut/bent/installed. $130/hr labor. The guy does top notch work but that was way, way out of my budget for a skid. What I ended up making myself is not as nice without cutouts or anything but it was a fraction of the price.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
WOW am I ever undercharging! I'm guessing he marked the metal up to $300, and then almost 7 hours to cut and install it???

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
WOW am I ever undercharging! I'm guessing he marked the metal up to $300, and then almost 7 hours to cut and install it???
Yeah 300 for materials/cut fee, which seems about accurate for the pricing I was looking at for a full sheet of 3/16 aluminum. One of the reasons I wanted to have a shop do it was because I thought they might be getting wholesale prices on material.

For what it's worth, what I ended up building is a lot simpler than what I requested. The labor charge still gave me some sticker shock though

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds