87 4Runner Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Yeah 300 for materials/cut fee, which seems about accurate for the pricing I was looking at for a full sheet of 3/16 aluminum. One of the reasons I wanted to have a shop do it was because I thought they might be getting wholesale prices on material.

For what it's worth, what I ended up building is a lot simpler than what I requested. The labor charge still gave me some sticker shock though

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
a good running shop is generally going to put 15-25% on top fo their material cost. you aint gunna see the price breaks lol.

either way, 1200 is fucking nuts for just a skid plate. i could understand if a whole bumper is involved and you supplied material but god damn!

Reactions: the bodj

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Yeah 300 for materials/cut fee, which seems about accurate for the pricing I was looking at for a full sheet of 3/16 aluminum. One of the reasons I wanted to have a shop do it was because I thought they might be getting wholesale prices on material.

For what it's worth, what I ended up building is a lot simpler than what I requested. The labor charge still gave me some sticker shock though

I don't have a wholesale account, but I do mark up material prices a bit like Jimmy said. It takes my time/effort to go pick up the material (30 mins each way) that I'm not getting paid for. I'll also dig through the remnant section for DOM and plate. Again, that's time and effort I'm not getting paid for, so I bill it as regular retail material.

What were you requesting them to build?

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
I don't have a wholesale account, but I do mark up material prices a bit like Jimmy said. It takes my time/effort to go pick up the material (30 mins each way) that I'm not getting paid for. I'll also dig through the remnant section for DOM and plate. Again, that's time and effort I'm not getting paid for, so I bill it as regular retail material.

What were you requesting them to build?
What I asked for was a one piece skid plate with 3 bends in it going under the front diff. I also wanted the sides to wrap up slightly. Also had to have some holes/slots cut in for aesthetics.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
What I asked for was a one piece skid plate with 3 bends in it going under the front diff. I also wanted the sides to wrap up slightly. Also had to have some holes/slots cut in for aesthetics.

Ah, then yes, that isn't too terrible of a price for the skid plate in 3/16". Accurately locating the bends and tooling to bend it, long sheet to go under the diff, having a plasma table big enough to cut it all in one go with the speed holes, etc... and having to deal with something they didn't make, so they can't be sure of how square and symmetric it was built... Granted, it's a bit high, but they probably added a bit extra to make it worth their while for working on something they didn't build as that can be frustrating.

Reactions: sc610

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
I haven't taken the truck out for any trips but I have been doing some uogrades.

Rocksliders

4.7 tcase gears

AFR and fuel gauge. The 4runner digital fuel gauge senders are super hard to come by so I just put a universal sender and gauge in.

The truck always smelled like it ran rich. Once I added the AFR gauge it was idling at like 11.0 and sometimes under fu boost the ECU would fuel cut. Turn out someone had adjust the AFM a few extra clicks to richen it up. Now I have it backed off and it runs way better.

Made a new new idler arm and gusseted my centerlink. The TC unit at $700 is too rich for my blood. This uses a trailer/spare tire spindle and a uniball and cost a fraction of a the TC unit.

Made mounts for my spare CV. I originally wanted this mounted under the truck but it's too heavy or too big for the two spots I wanted to put it.

Built a half cage. Not ready to cut the dash yet. Frame tie ins at the B and D? pillars. The c pillar ties into the bedcage. Not enough headroom (less than 6") to do an X over the passenger area.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Any more pictures of the idler? Was just
brainstorming that problem this morning

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds