87 4Runner Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I'm gonna need to source an axle now. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
YOu could spend hours with a plasma/cutoff/Grinder to make yours work but it would be easier to swap to a truck rear. Your rear is the same just has brackets all over it

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Rear window fixed, it did have a couple broken teeth and the top bolt/switch was not connected, so I swapped the whole regulator out. The other half of the issue was a corroded window switch that didn't make contact all the time. Cleaned it up and will switch to a carling switch if this one goes out again.

Cleaned up the carpets a little, fixed the hacked up stereo wiring, and bought some hardware and panel clips to replace the missing or incorrect screws. Unfortunately someone opted to use wood screws into some of the panels.

Short term to-do:
Smog
Find fiberglass fenders (driver fender is dented enough to rub the door
Replace the shitty battery and ground cables

Looking for a LT kit, shocks, springs, wheels/tires, fiberglass. Helpfully can get some of this at the swap meet. Deaver said they aren't going to the swap meet so I'll end up having to pay like $150 for shipping if I don't find springs this weekend. Bought some hanneman mini rear fenders for pickup

This picture popped up on my Facebook, my old 4runner about 10 years ago. Starting out ahead on this truck compared to that one

Reactions: Heer-O

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Rear window fixed, it did have a couple broken teeth and the top bolt/switch was not connected, so I swapped the whole regulator out. The other half of the issue was a corroded window switch that didn't make contact all the time. Cleaned it up and will switch to a carling switch if this one goes out again.

Cleaned up the carpets a little, fixed the hacked up stereo wiring, and bought some hardware and panel clips to replace the missing or incorrect screws. Unfortunately someone opted to use wood screws into some of the panels.

Short term to-do:
Smog
Find fiberglass fenders (driver fender is dented enough to rub the door
Replace the shitty battery and ground cables

Looking for a LT kit, shocks, springs, wheels/tires, fiberglass. Helpfully can get some of this at the swap meet. Deaver said they aren't going to the swap meet so I'll end up having to pay like $150 for shipping if I don't find springs this weekend. Bought some hanneman mini rear fenders for pickup

This picture popped up on my Facebook, my old 4runner about 10 years ago. Starting out ahead on this truck compared to that one

Best way to clean the carpet... Pull it out and wet, use soap on hard spots then pressure wash it. Let it dry outside for 3 days so it is really clean. re install. Looks brand new. I have done it to 3 or 4 Toyotas and it is amazing how well it works.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Fenders mounted. Got some hanneman front and rears at the swap meet even though I really like the ADV fronts.

Bought a winch mount to build a bumper off of. I like the ability to bolt it on and off.

Made a tailgate covers out of abs. I wanted to try my hand at doing an aluminum panel but didn't have the time, money, or material.

Did not pass smog. Tune up this week to see if I can't get the HCs down at cruising speed. I knew that these older trucks can be finicky, especially if not tuned up do I'm not shocked but if I don't pass after the tune up I'll be pretty annoyed.

My first real deviation from my goal of keeping things simple..Found a half pulled r150 at pick n pull. Engine was pulled out already and driveshafts were disconnected so I just had to unbolt the crossmember and me and a friend pulled it out through the engine bay. I have the bellhousing to run this behind my engine. I still need a gear driven tcase. This does need an adapter to run the tcase but it uses OE parts. My setup will be stock turbo motor,flywheel, clutch>v6 transmission>adapter>stock tcase. So not too wild.

All of the shocks at the swap meet were overpriced for me, at least in the condition they were in. I saw king drive up but I assumed they wouldn't sell until the morning like usual but when I went back they were all bought up. And I later saw some dudes reselling a bunch of them. But they didn't have what I wanted anyway. However, they did offer to have my shocks made right away. So as far as I know, I have 18" bypasses being sent by the end of April.

Ordered a Total Chaos kit with the boxed lowers but its backordered about a month.
Total Chaos also had their kit spec shocks in stock, so I bit the bullet and ordered those too. Didn't want to sit around waiting for a deal to come on shocks in this market.

Need to decide if I want to run a tacoma rear axle for a couple extra inches. Then need to order springs and whatever else is needed to do the rear at once.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Regarding rear springs...

The person I spoke to at Deaver didn't know what I was talking about when I said I had an 80s 4runner. I should have just said I want to build a pickup with 300 extra lbs.

He said to run the H70HD. What do you guys think? Is that going to be too much spring? Stick to h70? Ask for f67 with just a little bit of weight added?

Do I need to redo the front hangers too? I know the way people set them up on tacoma's and whatnot but I thought these springs were more specific to these older frames.

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca

The person I spoke to at Deaver didn't know what I was talking about when I said I had an 80s 4runner. I should have just said I want to build a pickup with 300 extra lbs.

He said to run the H70HD. What do you guys think? Is that going to be too much spring? Stick to h70? Ask for f67 with just a little bit of weight added?

Do I need to redo the front hangers too? I know the way people set them up on tacoma's and whatnot but I thought these springs were more specific to these older frames.
Yeah its really the same platform as the p/u.

Id run the H70 or H70HD if youre planning on carrying the whole family and their stuff plus tools and camp gear. My springs are F67's made to carry an extra 200lbs, and Ive had them reworked to carry even more weight... they might as well be H70s now.

Youll have to move the front spring hangers with any of the above mentioned springs. What length shackle are you planning on running? All of these springs will/can work the same on any of these wide-framed spring-under trucks (tacoma/pickups/4runner/nissans/s10/etc). A 9" shackle under the frame is going to be the easiest to set-up and wont require much trimming/cutting/hacking.

Reactions: sc610

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca

Yeah its really the same platform as the p/u.

Id run the H70 or H70HD if youre planning on carrying the whole family and their stuff plus tools and camp gear. My springs are F67's made to carry an extra 200lbs, and Ive had them reworked to carry even more weight... they might as well be H70s now.

Youll have to move the front spring hangers with any of the above mentioned springs. What length shackle are you planning on running? All of these springs will/can work the same on any of these wide-framed spring-under trucks (tacoma/pickups/4runner/nissans/s10/etc). A 9" shackle under the frame is going to be the easiest to set-up and wont require much trimming/cutting/hacking.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
It is my non-professional opinion that the people at deaver are kinda dumb. My buddy asked for springs for his explorer and said he'll be using a bike hauler to bring his dirtbike out to the desert. Well, they thought he was going to be daily driving with it like that, apparently, since they made him a custom g50e pack that's even more beefed up... Hopefully it doesn't ride like a dump truck.

Reactions: Heer-O

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
It is my non-professional opinion that the people at deaver are kinda dumb. My buddy asked for springs for his explorer and said he'll be using a bike hauler to bring his dirtbike out to the desert. Well, they thought he was going to be daily driving with it like that, apparently, since they made him a custom g50e pack that's even more beefed up... Hopefully it doesn't ride like a dump truck.
I mean what did you expect? If you don’t want springs set up to haul a dirt bike, don’t tell them you want springs to haul a dirt bike lol. You can’t have springs set up for more weight only 10% of the time, that’s what airbags are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I mean what did you expect? If you don’t want springs set up to haul a dirt bike, don’t tell them you want springs to haul a dirt bike lol. You can’t have springs set up for more weight only 10% of the time, that’s what airbags are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pssssst. I didn't call them and tell them that. Regardless, I'd hope it would be common knowledge that you don't keep the dirtbike on there full time

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds