87 4Runner Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I think GM senders read that way (90ohm full and close to 0 empty), if not the rangers are opposite of GM. both in that ohm range. should be pretty easy to find a sender to work for that. thats a pretty standard range.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I am working on a signal interface box that will convert different rpm/speed signals and resistance levels to feed different universal/stock gauges but won't be ready for a while.

If the fuel level sender is the float on the arm type, I think you can just flip the arm to the other side and reverse the sweep.

Sean

Reactions: Jester9

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
I am aware of the awesome digital Turbo cluster... That is why I mentioned the SR5 cluster. Mine did not come stock as a Turbo. I installed the Turbo motor and computer myself. Found a digital Dash but they wanted my left arm for it so sticking with the SR5.

Are you running the stock turbo still?

Oh my bad! I did not realize you had done that swap! How has it been for you? Its still the stock turbo but the manifold has cracked before, so eventually I'll replace that which might be a good time to do something different. I don't want to go too wild, so probably nothing more than the stock computer/fueling can handle.

I think GM senders read that way (90ohm full and close to 0 empty), if not the rangers are opposite of GM. both in that ohm range. should be pretty easy to find a sender to work for that. thats a pretty standard range.
Thanks. I'll look into it. Any idea if the lock ring pattern is universal or manufacturer specific?

I am working on a signal interface box that will convert different rpm/speed signals and resistance levels to feed different universal/stock gauges but won't be ready for a while.

If the fuel level sender is the float on the arm type, I think you can just flip the arm to the other side and reverse the sweep.

Sean
Are you making that for something on your Tundra?

Interesting idea on flipping the arm. I forget what the float looks like in the tank.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Oh my bad! I did not realize you had done that swap! How has it been for you? Its still the stock turbo but the manifold has cracked before, so eventually I'll replace that which might be a good time to do something different. I don't want to go too wild, so probably nothing more than the stock computer/fueling can handle.
I am all stock right now with just a boost controller running about 9lbs. The 4Runner feels about the same as my old 2wd 22re truck now. Instead of the super slow 22re heavy 4Runner it is. 9lbs is about all the stock stuff will take before hitting fuel cutoff unless you start modifying stuff.

My plan is eventually to do the T3/T4 turbo with still running the 9lbs. My buddy had a stock everything motor with that and the thing really wakes up with a better turbo. My other friend has a 4Runner with built everything and a dial to turn it up to 20lbs and that sucker screams.

Reactions: Turboyota

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
CT20 turbos suck balls. The drive pressures they produce is retarded. As noted, a good turbo running the same boost will have more power as you will only have 12psi in the exhaust instead of 20+.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
CT20 turbos suck balls. The drive pressures they produce is retarded. As noted, a good turbo running the same boost will have more power as you will only have 12psi in the exhaust instead of 20+.
The issue I see while driving is the CT20 tops out at some really low RPM. I short shift to get to the next gear and boost up. With the T3/T4 you can run those RPM's up and still keep the boost going allowing you to drive much harder and faster.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
Shit. Upon closer inspection the valve cover is solid and the leak is coming from the head gasket. Or hopefully, weeping from the head gasket and leaking from the rear main or oil pan.

The good news is that I can keep moving forward with the current project without having to deal with the tearing into to motor right now.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
It runs. Need to wire up the reverse, clutch start/neutral switch, and 4wd lights. Not sure yet if I actually need the auto ecu plugged in or if I can leave it out completely.

The 5spd shifter bezel/trim piece is crazy expensive so I'll have to make a cover plate.

People online swear up and down the auto robs power but honestly the truck doesn't feel all that different without the auto

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds