87 Ranger Rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA
What is the benefit of moving the slip from the trans output to the driveshaft?
The amount of slip in the transmission was too much based off of the amount of travel. Would of had to limit travel if we kept the slip in the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
The throttle we used the original electronic throttle body and pedal. We mounted the controller for the electronic pedal on the column. It originally had a manual transmission so we had to remove that pedal and move the brake and gas pedal over being we narrowed that area with the firewall mods, I’ll get some pictures.

We went with a one piece drive shaft, I’ll get some more pictures of the transmission mounted. The part number for the headers on eBay is 182751950738, the company is Black Horse Racing.

I’ll get some more pictures tomorrow when I drop off some more parts at the shop.

Awesome man!! You couldn't have come on here with this info and exact set up at a better time. I appreciate all the info and pics.

Reactions: 805TundraVc

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA
Stopped by the shop today and checked on progress and dropped off a few parts. Found out the stock spark plug wires won’t work with the headers, looking for some aftermarket ones that will not sit right against the headers. But got some more pictures.

Header clearance. Had to move a tube on the passenger side but good to go.

IMG_2568.jpg
IMG_2555.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg

Steering box back from Power Steering Solutions. Rebuilt, steering stops installed, and fittings for steering ram welded in.

IMG_2545.jpg

Brakes are done!

IMG_2567.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2557.jpg

Transmission cooler installed and plumbed

IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2563.jpg

Wiring and center console making good progress

IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2548.jpg

Transmission cross member and exhaust ran

IMG_2551.jpg

Rear end all assembled

IMG_2554.jpg

Engine oil cooler plumbed

IMG_2564.jpg

Making good progress. Will have more updates next week! Got heims today for the steering ram and fittings and hose for the rear diff breather. Nickel and diming me will hopefully be over soon, lol.

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA
Msd multiangle plug wires should work for those
Im thinking these might work if I get a spark plug wire protector sleeve to go around. It’s two cylinders on the passenger side that are an issue, the other 6 are no problem.

IMG_2572.jpg

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
appreciate pics... spying all sorts of things that will help me big time.

Still not sure I see how pass header was modified though...

As for the brakes. I assume that is stock brake booster? Just hook up vacuum from the LQ? Stock master?

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA
appreciate pics... spying all sorts of things that will help me big time.

Still not sure I see how pass header was modified though...

As for the brakes. I assume that is stock brake booster? Just hook up vacuum from the LQ? Stock master?
No problem!

The passenger header wasn’t modified at all, we just had to cut a tube from the engine cage and create the landing on the side of the frame to move the tube away from the engine to get clearance, bolted right on after that.

Stock booster and master, running vacuum from the engine. I’ll see how the stock stuff works with the willwoods, if there isn’t enough stopping power then I’ll switch to a cnc setup.

Ordered these wires today with the protector sleeves, should work okay.

IMG_2583.jpg

HBFENDERBENDER

V8 Ranger
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Hill
im running the stock master on my truck with the 383 just hooked up vacuum and it stopped pretty decently. I run the spark plug wire covers on all 8 plugs to be safe. I had issues with the plug wires melting on the headers. Truck looks sweet!

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds