87 Ranger Rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA
Bunch of updates, truck is all together and really now just need to tune the shocks and get it painted or wrapped. Looking for opinion on rear spring rates, currently the the truck sits way too low in the rear, with only 1/4 tank of gas. Preload is pretty much maxed. Suggestions on a different spring rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
How much preload is on there?
A lot of people get confused by how to accurately measure.. hang the axle on the straps, measure where the collar is with the coils barely snug (aka your 0” measurement) and then add preload till you get your desired ride height (aka your total preload) Ideally you want 1-2” out back. I’ve even tuned a truck that had a bit over 2” out back and it works but it makes the truck feel a bit lazy. Super comfortable in the cab though lol give it take a bit typically 100lbs in spring change = 1” collar change. This changes a big based on motion ratios and such but it’s a good starting point

Last edited:
Reactions: marcytech

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
A lot of people get confused by how to accurately measure.. hang the axle on the straps, measure where the collar is with the coils barely snug (aka your 0” measurement) and then add preload till you get your desired ride height (aka your total preload) Ideally you want 1-2” out back. I’ve even tuned a truck that had a bit over 2” out back and it works but it makes the truck feel a bit lazy. Super comfortable in the cab though lol give it take a bit typically 100lbs in spring change = 1” collar change. This changes a big based on motion ratios and such but it’s a good starting point

what he said ^^^^ first measure preload thennnn you can start guessing what springs you need

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park

Kevin, do you set preload on the top collar? Or the slide stops?

Iribe had us do something weird (to me)on Lenny’s truck, droop truck, set 1/2-1” of preload on the upper collar, then set ride height with preload on the slider stop rings.

Doesn’t this negate the dual rate setup? Or am I over thinking this? At ride heigh the truck always sat on the main spring, only at the last bit of droop did the top coil come into play. We ran it and it worked, but I felt like it wasn’t optimum.

805TundraVc

May 29, 2007
Ventura, CA

So I measured the preload currently by measuring spring to spring on the coilovers and subtracted the overall length of the springs. Right now there is an 1.5 inch preload, but the truck needs to go up in the back about 4 inches more.....

Nov 9, 2008
Carolina South
There is a calculator somewhere on the net. Where you put one spring of a know weight on the coilovers. Set the spring stop at full droop to barely touch the too of the spring. Make sure you have a full tank and anything else you are going to have in the rear of the truck. Set the truck in it's feet and measure how much it compresses the spring.
There's some more calculations based on length of the links and such but it will get you in the ball park of what you need

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Kevin, do you set preload on the top collar? Or the slide stops?

Iribe had us do something weird (to me)on Lenny’s truck, droop truck, set 1/2-1” of preload on the upper collar, then set ride height with preload on the slider stop rings.

Doesn’t this negate the dual rate setup? Or am I over thinking this? At ride heigh the truck always sat on the main spring, only at the last bit of droop did the top coil come into play. We ran it and it worked, but I felt like it wasn’t optimum.

You do that with the larger 3.0” Coilovers or in applications where you run a long main spring and short tender springs (like 2.5”x10” Coilovers with an 18” main and 4” tender). It helps a lot to have big, long main springs because you can run heavy main springs and lighter tenders so you have good bottoming control but when the chassis is weightless and the tires are skipping whoops, such as at the top of a g-out/rise with whoops after, the tires can skip across them using the light weight top rate which won’t disrupt the chassis, but then it will settle back down to ride height and use the main springs again. Big coils are boss. 3.0” diameter coils you can’t really do that with because they don’t offer 20”-26” main springs in that diameter, only in the 3.75” springs.

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
You do that with the larger 3.0” Coilovers or in applications where you run a long main spring and short tender springs (like 2.5”x10” Coilovers with an 18” main and 4” tender). It helps a lot to have big, long main springs because you can run heavy main springs and lighter tenders so you have good bottoming control but when the chassis is weightless and the tires are skipping whoops, such as at the top of a g-out/rise with whoops after, the tires can skip across them using the light weight top rate which won’t disrupt the chassis, but then it will settle back down to ride height and use the main springs again. Big coils are boss. 3.0” diameter coils you can’t really do that with because they don’t offer 20”-26” main springs in that diameter, only in the 3.75” springs.

I learn something new every day. Thanks for taking the time to break this down. It makes a lot of sense now that you explained it this way.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds