88 bronco build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
Have a few questions for the seasoned ttb guys. I’m limited to 1.5” and 2” die sets right now for my bender. Planing on building single swing steering. Is 1.5” x 1/8” wall tube Fine for steering. 3/4” rod ends on swingers?

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
What about radius arms? 1.5” x 1/8” wall tubing with plate? Maybe 1.75” sleeve at end for 1-1/4” rod end?

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
What parts are you looking to acquire? I'm building a bronco as well and may have some extra parts that id be willing to sell. My build thread is: https://www.dezertrangers.com/threads/bronco-sin-nombre.238082/

Steering: go thicker wall than 1/8. and try not to have bent tie rods. depending what you are willing to move, and how much patience you have to get it right, its possible. I am planning to run single swing in the future. Some will argue that doing the ambulance tie rods is plenty fine for a bronco depending on the level of build. Thats what ill be running till i switch to single swing.

Radius Arms: go bigger here too. 1.75 x .120 with a 1.25 threaded bung for the heim main tube, with same dimension tube for the lower, since you only have 1.5 die, you can miter the bottom tube, or go 1.5 for the bottom. Thats if you plan on doing the older style radius arms. I actually have some that i just cut off my bronco. they were ended to the beams but i went with a different style. They could probably work for you, just clean up the cut end and weld them to your beams, or weld up some brackets to make them bolt on. they are pretty stout, may have heims to go with the as well. you could also do a single tube design with 2" x .250. take a look at desolate, threat, solo, ocho, etc. to get some ideas. Im currently building plate radius arms for my bronco.

Reactions: circafwsk8r86

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
1.25”x.250 tube drilled and tapped for 7/8x3/4” heims. You can use the 1.5” die to bend the 1.25” if you bend a piece of 1.5”x.120 tube and then split it in half length wise to reduce the Bender shoe down a diameter.

Use1.75” or 2”x.120 with plate for the radius arms. They shouldn’t need any bends so no need for a bender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
What parts are you looking to acquire? I'm building a bronco as well and may have some extra parts that id be willing to sell. My build thread is: https://www.dezertrangers.com/threads/bronco-sin-nombre.238082/

Steering: go thicker wall than 1/8. and try not to have bent tie rods. depending what you are willing to move, and how much patience you have to get it right, its possible. I am planning to run single swing in the future. Some will argue that doing the ambulance tie rods is plenty fine for a bronco depending on the level of build. Thats what ill be running till i switch to single swing.

Radius Arms: go bigger here too. 1.75 x .120 with a 1.25 threaded bung for the heim main tube, with same dimension tube for the lower, since you only have 1.5 die, you can miter the bottom tube, or go 1.5 for the bottom. Thats if you plan on doing the older style radius arms. I actually have some that i just cut off my bronco. they were ended to the beams but i went with a different style. They could probably work for you, just clean up the cut end and weld them to your beams, or weld up some brackets to make them bolt on. they are pretty stout, may have heims to go with the as well. you could also do a single tube design with 2" x .250. take a look at desolate, threat, solo, ocho, etc. to get some ideas. Im currently building plate radius arms for my bronco.

I was checking out your build. Guess I never saw 2” single tube radius arms but I like the idea if it’s strong enough.

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
1.25”x.250 tube drilled and tapped for 7/8x3/4” heims. You can use the 1.5” die to bend the 1.25” if you bend a piece of 1.5”x.120 tube and then split it in half length wise to reduce the Bender shoe down a diameter.

Use1.75” or 2”x.120 with plate for the radius arms. They shouldn’t need any bends so no need for a bender

Have to try that. Think my model 3 will bend that tube thickness?

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Try to go 1/4 wall on arms and steering. Less deflection and greater impact resistance. Or get a file for plate arms and have them water jetted. Saw another build here with water jet cut plate arms. They looked super beefy.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
You shouldn’t have to bend them too much, but yeah some head from a torch and that bender should tweak them enough to clean. I wouldn’t try and bend a 90° on them but it’ll do!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds