88 bronco build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
Got uni ball cups in last night and today got the passenger beam extended. Decided on +3 keep it a little narrower than my last truck. Any recommendations on over lay plating thickness? Have half a sheet of 1/8” that be good? Or 3/16. Have my donor axles I’ll build driver side then extend driver beam hopefully soon.

Attachments

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
Got driver side extended, cut some overlay plates got a few of them on so far. Went with .125 4130. Sucks I can’t find it local so been ordering small pieces online.

Attachments

Reactions: yltaco05

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
Got a question. Just threw beams on temporarily sitting on blocks with no radius arms to move to the garage. At first glance it looks like the passenger side had less stick out than driver. If you pivot beams forward to clear bigger tires does passenger beam need to be wider? Since it’s the rearward pivot it loses length faster than the front beam?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
The amount you are moving them will not change the length enough to matter. Moving a couple inches up on a 3' radius doesn't make that much of a change to length.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
how much did you move the beams forward? the beam itself dog legs to compensate for the pivots, so the only width you lose will be pushing beams forward. the shorter beam will be narrower when you do this, but only by a 1/16 of an inch (depending how long your beams are and how much forward you push) i doubt you could see that with your eye when looking at the front end

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
I added 3” to each beam. Put giant pivots on. Something could be off. I just threw spindles on and and wheels to get it in the garage. I’ll take measurements this weekend and post pics of what I got.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
for reference:

say one beam is 30" long. you push the frontend forward 2" (pretty much maxing out the unibazl). that beam would sit 0.07" narrower than if it was perpendicular to the frame.

now saw the other beam is 34" long, push it the same 2". that beam is now 0.06" narrower. Which means the difference from passenger to driver side would only be 0.01" in other words, doesn't matter.

these are rough measurements but the principal will be the same. If you can get beam lengths its easy to figure out exactly what your working with. but ultimately, there's most likely something else wrong.

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
I understand your math but in reality the driver beam only get longer from center of chassis when pushing it forward. Maybe you can send me a dimension of your beam from tranny x member to face of beam? Or whatever common point you come up with? Did you push wheels forward up front or ?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds