89 Ranger 4x4

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
What he said ^^^

HID Ballasts pull a lot of amps at start up, sometimes more than a halogen bulb. And if you got cheaper ballasts (nothing wrong with that) they are known to have the polarity switched on the plug, you should just be able to flip the plug over. Id lean towards this or the ballasts are bad if you can't get them to individually fire either. When trying to fire were they hooked directly to the battery or a switch? wired through a relay?

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
What he said ^^^

HID Ballasts pull a lot of amps at start up, sometimes more than a halogen bulb. And if you got cheaper ballasts (nothing wrong with that) they are known to have the polarity switched on the plug, you should just be able to flip the plug over. Id lean towards this or the ballasts are bad if you can't get them to individually fire either. When trying to fire were they hooked directly to the battery or a switch? wired through a relay?
The 2 on the ends are non converted Hella HIDs. On my center 2 I did use a cheaper HID ballast I found on amazon. Good info, I didn't even think of the polarity being flipped. I was going directly to the battery, no switch or relay. It was just to test them. When I get back home I'll get them properly wired to a switch in my panel and fire them up once it's running

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
(didn't bother to look for pics of the lights haha my bad) put them on a relay, or even multiple. Or multiple switches, with relays. lol Those Hellas pull over 12 amps each at startup (for a bout 2 seconds or so) then drop to around 3-4 after 30 seconds or so. so a single 20 amp switch won't be happy and either fail, or not fire the ballasts. The cheap ballasts probably pull more since they are less efficient, so you are looking at a 50 amp load on startup. Also try charging the battery, it can technically still show 12 volts but not push enough amps. Not likely the issue but worth ruling out.

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
The 2 outers and 2 mids will be on different switches. The switches are rated at 25 amps so I would be pushing it. Weird thing is, my front 3 lights that have been converted will/have fired up on 1 switch (no relay) this entire time, even when the trucks not running.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
You should be "fine" with the 25 amp switch, as I'm sure thats not its peak rating and you should only see 25 amps for a couple seconds.

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
I wish it was 107 here. That way it would be too hot for the wife to come pester me while I'm in the garage.
I understand that! I went to SD yesterday. Spent the day at SeaWorld and ended it at Fiesta Island. My wife only comes outside in my garage to smoke and yell. Then goes running back inside

Reactions: GahnRacing

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!
I understand that! I went to SD yesterday. Spent the day at SeaWorld and ended it at Fiesta Island. My wife only comes outside in my garage to smoke and yell. Then goes running back inside
If shes pissed and yelling, sounds like shes smoking the wrong stuff.. oh yeh, and that dash and mounting location looks good for the maps.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds