9” inch/vss relocation 2wd f-150

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
So after searching countless forums on the topic and getting nothing but comments from boomers from the Midwest with shit like “silver star lightbulb upgrade” as a “mod” in their signatures saying things like “why would you want to swap a 9”? The 8.8 is better if it wasn’t Ford wouldn’t have switched to it” instead of answering my question, I decided to finally start a thread on the subject.

So, I have a 2wd f150, truck is a 1995 with a 4r70w, and I have an 8.8 currently, but I just picked up a currie 9” for it.

Now I know people make kits for 4wd trucks to mount the vss off the t case, but:

1. Who here has done it on a 2wd trans?
2. What are my options for location? I have seen some people tap and weld a bung on 3rd members, or fix the tone ring off of the yoke on the 3rd member, but is anything else out there?
3. Does anyone sell a 2wd Kit I’m currently unaware of?
4. Is my best bet to buy a 4x4 kit to rip parts off of?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Never done one on a 2X. I would buy a Bronco kit and make the brackets work. Just make sure you get the right tooth count ring.

8.hates suck balls, not sure why anyone would waste money on one.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
I’ve seen a couple people drill and tap the end of the output shaft, cap the slip yoke, and then bolt them together for a slip yoke eliminator. Not sure if at that point any existing vss kit would easily work or not on the tail of the transmission, but I’m guessing not. My plan is to add a tone ring on the 3rd and mount the sensor in the axle housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
Never done one on a 2X. I would buy a Bronco kit and make the brackets work. Just make sure you get the right tooth count ring.

8.hates suck balls, not sure why anyone would waste money on one.
Copy, I do have a 4x4 one already I guess I will try to make it work somehow thanks

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
back when i was looking for one on my ranger, these guys had kits for several different type of trucks/cars.

i ended up doing what was said above by machining slots on the balance piece of the out put shaft and mounted the sensor to read it. i did not cut enough slots but it was close. speedo was about 5-8 mph off.

Reactions: S00TLYFE

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
back when i was looking for one on my ranger, these guys had kits for several different type of trucks/cars.

i ended up doing what was said above by machining slots on the balance piece of the out put shaft and mounted the sensor to read it. i did not cut enough slots but it was close. speedo was about 5-8 mph off.
I had heard about them doing this kit and I do know these guys do a lot of good hot rod stuff (they’re local to me) I may give them a call and see what they can do

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds