91+ Ford Explorer Pics/Info

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

joej

Dec 3, 2014
Looks great! Are those 2.5 or 3.0 shocks? And how is clearance of tires to shocks when articulated?

2.5x16s. I was worried about the clearance too at articulation but it clears by just a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyotacole

Jul 13, 2014
Looks great! Are those 2.5 or 3.0 shocks? And how is clearance of tires to shocks when articulated?

It’s a 2.5 16 inch shock. He hasn’t had any issues with the tires clearing the shocks on articulation yet but it definitely needs the sway bar which will make sure it never articulates enough to touch the coilover. It’s actually a lot of shit crammed in there even with the wider rear end so all you can do is get as good of clearance as possibly and then limit the articulation with the sway bar.

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
It’s a 2.5 16 inch shock. He hasn’t had any issues with the tires clearing the shocks on articulation yet but it definitely needs the sway bar which will make sure it never articulates enough to touch the coilover. It’s actually a lot of shit crammed in there even with the wider rear end so all you can do is get as good of clearance as possibly and then limit the articulation with the sway bar.

I'm well aware, the frames on these are so wide in the back. Mine is getting a cage right now and 18" coilovers mounted with plans of links in the future with an econoline width axle as well. I originally wanted to do a 3-link with panhard, but it doesn't seem like there's enough room with the axle moving side to side. It will probably end up similar to joej's. We've discussed the possibility of needing a swaybar as well, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The problem for me is that I go 4-wheeling too, so articulation is more crucial for me.

87xjmike

Oct 16, 2010
colfax, ca
I'm well aware, the frames on these are so wide in the back. Mine is getting a cage right now and 18" coilovers mounted with plans of links in the future with an econoline width axle as well. I originally wanted to do a 3-link with panhard, but it doesn't seem like there's enough room with the axle moving side to side. It will probably end up similar to joej's. We've discussed the possibility of needing a swaybar as well, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The problem for me is that I go 4-wheeling too, so articulation is more crucial for me.
Sweet cant wait to see the cage Matt! Are you only documenting it on the explorerforum in the elite area?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
Yeah pretty much the only thread I keep updated. But here are a few pics so far. The Fab Lab is doing it (formerly TT Motorsports? A division of TT Motorsports? Not super sure), and I'm really happy with what they've done thus far. I should be getting it back Labor Day weekend.
IMG_4364.JPG
55649571622__27BCDEAC-0F23-425B-8E5A-E1086C792820.jpeg

PROJECTRUNNER87

1473/1607 Racing
Sep 23, 2007
HendiSON/ Vegas
Almost all put together... Needs a solid wiring and a few other misc. details before she will even be road worthy.

Decided on short-course style links as a few on here have done.

I'll try and get some more of the progress photos uploaded. The damn cloud keeps making them disappear.

Reactions: Josh40601 and Big_T

mounty71

Mega Member
Oct 18, 2007
San Francisco
Looking really good. Definitely need some pics and info of the rear setup! I had no idea so many people were linking these things.

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Yeah pretty much the only thread I keep updated. But here are a few pics so far. The Fab Lab is doing it (formerly TT Motorsports? A division of TT Motorsports? Not super sure), and I'm really happy with what they've done thus far. I should be getting it back Labor Day weekend.
View attachment 207994
View attachment 207995

DAMN. looks awesome man!!! love how tight it still is even with all the interior panels and stuff it looks like! i assume he made it so he's able to drop it to weld 360?

Almost all put together... Needs a solid wiring and a few other misc. details before she will even be road worthy.

Decided on short-course style links as a few on here have done.

I'll try and get some more of the progress photos uploaded. The damn cloud keeps making them disappear.

FUCK YEAH MAN!!!! love that you did the short course style links, definitely adds to the "sleeper" style look of a linked expo.

I had no idea so many people were linking these things.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?
LIKE HOLYYYYYYY SHIT. i feel like linking your expo a few years back was not even thought about!!!!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds