91 Ranger Rebuild

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Figured I'd add some updates to this thread. Hit some road blocks but currently have a freshly built 8.8 that I just did the swap for from the old blown up 7.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
I put the rear in today and squared everything up. Tabbed up the new shock mounts and corrected some problems from the old mounting points. Cycled well and did its job.

Here is it ghetto rigged to make sure the bumps work where they were.

Next I have to make or buy new top plates to run the new ubolts correctly. Then I'll pull the whole rear out and weld all the tabs completely.
I'm also welding the housing to the axle tubes on this 8.8 so they don't spin. So if anyone has experience chime in!
Side note.... those bumps are getting moved... no idea why they were ran where they are. Don't really work to full potential.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Couple of older process pictures for anyone who gives a shit.

Still have insane amounts of clean up work to do to this truck.
Re-plumbing all AN.
Fuel lines.
Brake lines.
Minor motor clean up, basically all the standard stuff up there.
Then it's on to the inferior and dash work. Tons to do by Halloween haha!

Rangerkid77

4seatprerunner
Sep 24, 2014
I put the rear in today and squared everything up. Tabbed up the new shock mounts and corrected some problems from the old mounting points. Cycled well and did its job.

Here is it ghetto rigged to make sure the bumps work where they were.

Next I have to make or buy new top plates to run the new ubolts correctly. Then I'll pull the whole rear out and weld all the tabs completely.
I'm also welding the housing to the axle tubes on this 8.8 so they don't spin. So if anyone has experience chime in!
Side note.... those bumps are getting moved... no idea why they were ran where they are. Don't really work to full potential.

Did you end up resetting pinion angle? From the looks of it in the pictures seems to have a ton of degrees at bump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Wanted to give some updates. All the fab work on the 8.8 is done. Will be going under truck this weekend.

Waiting on some brake components from Kartek.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Thought I'd add some more since I've finally got the truck out for Halloween. Minor set backs but overall truck did ok.

Still need to remount the bedsides after he 8.8 swap.

Here is my first attempt at running all my own lines.

Between the seasons I'm going to go leaf under. Probably make something comparable to giant Geoff's link killer kit.

Little face shot at Shell Reef. Just converted those old Hellas to HID. Worked great. More to come.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
ended up having my ignition switch fail. Had to jump the starter solenoid then fried my starter. Found several electrical concerns that I know have addressed or are fixing this weekend. Hell of a party! Has anyone had any luck finding good affordable high output alternators for the 4.0 ohv? I am not 100% certain yet, but I think that my accessories were drawing too much and my alternator couldn't keep up? Could be a different issue since I have yet to test it but thought i would ask. Also had two red tops that are as old as the damn truck... just picked up new battery this week so I am sure that will help as well.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
I guess I will update this sense it has been a few months and a ton of work. The rear end was completely fucked after Thanksgiving. Found out my shocks were emulsified. So I rebuilt them prior to going out New Years, truck worked way better! Have a fuel issue I cannot seem to run down only at cold start up. Truck will fire then stall like it isn't getting enough fuel. I have checked pressure at the rail, and it is correct and never drops. I also replaced the MAF, TPS sensor, IAC and cleaned the TB. Runs better but still doesn't want to stay running right at initial fire up.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Mounted my bedsides this weekend too after fucking months of not running them post 8.8 swap.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Mounted my bedsides this weekend too after fucking months of not running them post 8.8 swap.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds