92 F1 Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Beams and A-arm fronts with the lower pivot at spindle centerline do not react to extra castor like a normal car spindle. If you tried to run 14* on one of those it would never turn. I have never built anything with over 10*, as it doesn't really make a difference.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

JakeEwing

Suh Dudes
Dec 19, 2013
San Diego
Just got done with the new Howe Ram-assist steering on the truck and we are blown away! Before we weren't able to turn below 10mph now the truck turns at a stand still without a problem. Took the truck out the other day and grabbed a few photos! For those following the steering build on the channel, a new video will be out Friday.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Agreed, I've got the exact same Howe setup you guys went with on mine and it's so nice! At idle, one finger steering wheel turns!

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Just watched your video on the Howe system. Just wanted to bring to your attention that at 10:20 I can see the frame rail deflect side to side on the bumper mount from the forces generated by the steering system. Might want to find a way to lock that down so it doesn't fatigue the metal somewhere and work harden /crack like the beam pivot did.

My understanding is that you want to lock any movement you can down on solid caged truck.

And let me be clear, I'm not half the fabricator you are, just wanted to bring to your attention in case it is an issue.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Also, I put this nifty little piece on my steering box for just a little extra piece of mind. Just in case you guys hadn't seen it and are interested... Figured giving that shaft some extra support wouldn't hurt... Made a small threaded tube that basically bolts to some tabs I hung off the bottom of the frame rail.

Reactions: littlebird

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Just watched your video on the Howe system. Just wanted to bring to your attention that at 10:20 I can see the frame rail deflect side to side on the bumper mount from the forces generated by the steering system. Might want to find a way to lock that down so it doesn't fatigue the metal somewhere and work harden /crack like the beam pivot did.

My understanding is that you want to lock any movement you can down on solid caged truck.

And let me be clear, I'm not half the fabricator you are, just wanted to bring to your attention in case it is an issue.

yea, looks like it needs a welded cross member between rails... that bolt on bumper ain't holding it still.

JakeEwing

Suh Dudes
Dec 19, 2013
San Diego
Just wanted to bring to your attention that at 10:20 I can see the frame rail deflect side to side on the bumper mount from the forces generated by the steering system. Might want to find a way to lock that down so it doesn't fatigue the metal somewhere and work harden /crack like the beam pivot did.
good spot! I didn't even see that after the many times I watched the clip during editing. You are 100% correct that the frame is deflecting. Looking at the bumper, there is no bolt at that mounting point...FAIL. Will definitely handle that before the next trip out, thank you for spotting that.

yea, looks like it needs a welded cross member between rails... that bolt on bumper ain't holding it still.
May be the case, if so we will make something, going to start with a bolt first 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: sirhk100

JakeEwing

Suh Dudes
Dec 19, 2013
San Diego
Also, I put this nifty little piece on my steering box for just a little extra piece of mind. Just in case you guys hadn't seen it and are interested... Figured giving that shaft some extra support wouldn't hurt... Made a small threaded tube that basically bolts to some tabs I hung off the bottom of the frame rail.

We were thinking about that! Seems like a smart idea since we have heard the Ford sector shafts tend to crack. There is a new one in the box now that HOWE installed, but that double shear setup seems legit.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds