92 F1 Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea if it had no bolt.. then it will probably hold. But something to watch for sure! Good eye littlebird.

I have had my eye on that solo double shear pitman arm part for a while. Want it for all 3x trucks really. I kill steering boxes every so often... and i think it will help

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Pine River Mn
We were thinking about that! Seems like a smart idea since we have heard the Ford sector shafts tend to crack. There is a new one in the box now that HOWE installed, but that double shear setup seems legit.
When I sent my box into Howe for the same set of goodies you guys did on yours they replaced my stock shaft as well and sent the old one back with the cracked area circled that they found while doing the mag check. The crack was so small I would've never been able to notice it otherwise. But I figured for the amount of $$$ into the steering system that little extra bit just seemed worth it to me. Not to mention I don't want to know what that ride is like if it did ever sheer of at speed! Yikes!!! LOL

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Pine River Mn
good spot! I didn't even see that after the many times I watched the clip during editing. You are 100% correct that the frame is deflecting. Looking at the bumper, there is no bolt at that mounting point...FAIL. Will definitely handle that before the next trip out, thank you for spotting that.

May be the case, if so we will make something, going to start with a bolt first 🤦‍♂️

Isn't it funny how you can look at a truck over and over and over again and it's dialed and ready but then a fresh set of eyes can walk up and point something out in like the first 30 seconds that you've looked right at a bunch of times and simply never noticed!!! We made a habit to have a friend or two come over and simply crawl all around our race truck the week before a race to look for cracks or anything that just simply seemed off. You'd be amazed at the tiny little detailed issues we've caught because of a fresh set of eyes on it...

christianewing

Let 'R' Rip!
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Working on the truck since the last time we posted on here. I added a tube to tie the frame rails together right underneath the radiator, added a removable tube that ties the swingers together and I gusseted up the ram mount on the frame just for extra precaution. We took the truck out to shake it down two weeks ago and GXSpice and BlackHat Studio's shot some photos of the truck which came out rad! Still fighting some flex issues in the front but the truck feels so much more solid with the Howe ram assist steering, its crazy the difference it makes!

DSC01357 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

DSC01384 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

BHS_3341 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

BHS_3298 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

DSC01720 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

DSC01879 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

DSC01827 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

DSC01756 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

BHS_4254 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

BHS_4274 by Christian Ewing, on Flickr

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
man. this truck looks so mean comin at you head on! awesome job on it dudes. all these photos are incredible!! steering better now?

JakeEwing

Suh Dudes
Dec 19, 2013
San Diego
man. this truck looks so mean comin at you head on! awesome job on it dudes. all these photos are incredible!! steering better now?
Steering is night and day. Before, the truck wasn't driveable on the street, now we are able to steer the truck with 1 finger. As Christian mentioned, he added some more bracing to the front end because we noticed the frame would deflect as we turned the truck. That along with the new ram changed the truck quite a bit. We do not have to correct as much and can relax a little bit more behind the wheel. There still seems to be some bump steer though. I checked the front end a while back and I believe the driver side had zero toe change throughout the travel and the other side about 1/4". This amount shouldn't be noticeable, but when we watch back clips in slomo you can see the tire toeing in and out while it is going through a section. One problem with beams is that when the steering wheel is not perfectly straight, the swinger is shifted and thus the pivot point of the main tie rod is moved, so the geometry is off and you will have bumpsteer. I am not sure if this is the issue and why we keep seeing bumpsteer in video or if there is some other issue. All in all though, the new steering helped the truck a lot and we are all a lot more comfortable driving it.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Steering is night and day. Before, the truck wasn't driveable on the street, now we are able to steer the truck with 1 finger. As Christian mentioned, he added some more bracing to the front end because we noticed the frame would deflect as we turned the truck. That along with the new ram changed the truck quite a bit. We do not have to correct as much and can relax a little bit more behind the wheel. There still seems to be some bump steer though. I checked the front end a while back and I believe the driver side had zero toe change throughout the travel and the other side about 1/4". This amount shouldn't be noticeable, but when we watch back clips in slomo you can see the tire toeing in and out while it is going through a section. One problem with beams is that when the steering wheel is not perfectly straight, the swinger is shifted and thus the pivot point of the main tie rod is moved, so the geometry is off and you will have bumpsteer. I am not sure if this is the issue and why we keep seeing bumpsteer in video or if there is some other issue. All in all though, the new steering helped the truck a lot and we are all a lot more comfortable driving it.
Jake, been following the build for years and at the same time designing/building my own F1. Great news that you guys have locked down the frame deflection.

In regard to the remaining bump steer, the higher ride height of the truck/Camburg beams results in the radius arm pivot being slightly higher or equal to the front knuckle/hub assemblies at ride height. As a consequence, the beam/wheel assembly is slightly plunging fore and aft as the radius arm travels up and down in its arc. As the rad arm approaches 0 degrees relative to the ground it is moving the beam forward slightly, causing toe out, and on droop, backward causing toe in. This in my opinion, is where this steering phenomenon is originating.

Possible remedies might include extending the rad arms or lowering their pivot point on the chassis.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucd baja

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
yeah i was gonna mention to be sure to check tow at multiple points of the travel, not just bump, ride height, droop. sounds like youre on the right path though and its looking incedible! i hope to take a trip out to log some dirt miles with you guys soon

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Bumpers are structural on stock F150's and Broncos. It was a real eye opener when I pulled both bumpers off the Barge and tried to drive it to work. Made it about 2 blocks before I turned around and went back to drive something else.

The 8 truck had the frame horns trimmed and 2 pieces of 1-3/4" across them. Also had extra gussets between the frame and the cross member. There is a lot of stress up there.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds