92 F1 Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

christianewing

Let 'R' Rip!
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Heres a video from the first two (and last two, oops!) trips of this season. Last jump in the video i overshot and landed flat, bending both beams pretty good right to the insides of where the radius arms mount to the beams. Decided now is a better time then ever to finally address all the issues we've been trying to bandaid in the front of the truck. The ram assist helped ALOT with the feedback but the front of the truck was still all over the place with bumpsteer. Now being able to really analyze it, incorrect caster, not enough bracing in the correct spots, big tires with alot of leverage on small parts, possibly tie rod deflection (which i still dont really think was an issue seeing as it was 1.5" .120 sleeved with 1.25" .120 4130 from bung to bung on each tie rod) and driving more and more aggressively with the truck really started taking a toll on everything.

NOW, we have fully torn the front of the truck down, my brother and I took a ridiculous amount of measurements off the front of the truck, and Jake has gone into cad and drawn up our new equal length beam kit with center mounted radius arms. We are going to be utilizing the Camburg uniball spindles we currently have and everything else will be new, all the way down to a new shock package. The 3.5 IBP coilover worked well but we kind of hit a limit with it only being a single shock application, yes it is a big shock but the actual main piston of the shock is only running on a 2.5 piston and shim stack... The truck will now be running a 2.5co/3.5 5 tube bypass all the way around which should be able to really take this truck to the next level. The rear used to have 2.5/3.0 3 tube, so with the bigger bypass and more tubes it should help quiet a bit getting this thing tuned in a little more! This time around i want the front of this truck to be the absolute best i can possibly make it, so I talked to as many people as i could think of that know Ibeams well and how to make them work properly. One of them being Roy Tomkins who answered alot of questions I had about geometry, which im super appreciative of!! Roy is a super good dude and took time out of his day to answer all of the seemingly dumb (to me) questions I had and went over things again with me if i didnt fully understand it. As of right this second, we are still looking for someone to cut the beam kit out for us and shocks are on order. King is 4.5+ months out on shocks so my plan is to get the beam kit and new steering on the truck before the shocks show up so all i need to do is build shock mounts when they show up and its ready to rip!

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
Phoenix
Nice video and editing.. what was the point of sleeved .120” wall tube instead of single
1.5”x0.25” tube?

christianewing

Let 'R' Rip!
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
1.5 .250 would have need to of been tapped for a heim and i dont have the tools to do that. It was easier to me to just slide a bung into the .120 and then sleeve the inside of the tubing from bung to bung

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Center mount radius arms more better for bump steer, also put a lot more stress on beams pivots. Pumped to see your new beam pivot design

christianewing

Let 'R' Rip!
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
is that a threat beams and kit? unequal length?

did bend where them bump hit?
Not Threat, it was a Camburg unequal length beam kit and radius arms. Bumpstop used to land on the top of the radius arm, so technically yes it bent right inside the bump. Truck landed hard on the front, blew through all the travel and bumpstop and was metal to metal with nowhere else to go. So much leverage with the 39's

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Dave at DTprofab.com or tabzone.com can help ya out also.

I know he’s cut out a few legit files for a few friends and an all around great guy that loves the off-road world

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I used to order from TabZone quite a bit before I got the plasma table. Great to do business with from my experience

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds