92 F1 Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
oh yea at 6:08-6:15 in video... look a them tires.

Apparently you should have sleeved the 1.5 with 1.25" x .250 wall all the way to the end?

Or you might want to consider 1.25" .375 and getting it drilled/tapped.

I still need to fix my brothers centerlink. His steering tubes seem to be single 1.25 x .250 chromoly. But the BFG "35's" aren't gonna put near the stress on the steering as your 39's I bet.

Reactions: christianewing

christianewing

Let 'R' Rip!
Aug 18, 2008
San Diego, Ca
oh yea at 6:08-6:15 in video... look a them tires.

Apparently you should have sleeved the 1.5 with 1.25" x .250 wall all the way to the end?

Or you might want to consider 1.25" .375 and getting it drilled/tapped.

I still need to fix my brothers centerlink. His steering tubes seem to be single 1.25 x .250 chromoly. But the BFG "35's" aren't gonna put near the stress on the steering as your 39's I bet.

It wasnt the tie rods themselves flexing, they did fine. For whatever reason every single trip we'd come back and the steering swingers would be loose in the mounts. I dont know if it was because of the bronze bushings not being properly setup and rubbing on the insides of the mounts and loosening themselves up or what the deal was. That was all swinger movement that was causing that in that clip along with a little bit of flimsy crossmember flex since that swing/swinger mount were bolted to it. Everything was so wadded in that setup. I am so happy its gone for good now HAHA. Ive learned alot since all that was done so this time around it should be waaay better.

If it was just straight up bumpsteer and bad geometry in the steering setup I would 1000% admit to that. But we cycled that front end with no shocks on it, with 40" long 1x1 square tubing off the hubs with plumb bobs hanging off it on each end going to the ground, no joke 8-10 times EASY and there is no bumpsteer when you are cycling it without a load on it. Ive grabbed the square tubing and tried pulling on it back and forth (all 170LB's of me soaking wet HA) and nothing would move. As soon as you hit anything at a decent speed the leverage of the tire and everything else it just takes the stuff where it wants to go haha

Would be curious to see though if we bumped down to a 37 if it would have made a difference at all with the bumpsteer

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds