A retarded trophy truck

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
So you said you were not fixing the weak link Crank (unless cracks found). Did that change because a few posts later you said Billet crank.
Yeah. I quit trying to be “budget minded” when it never was what I wanted to begin with. So I dropped the coin on that 90lbs of pure sex

runit02

Diesel guy
Sep 13, 2012
Those SXE’s are the shit. I’m only running a single 66 on my 2nd gen but man it lights 300 rpm sooner than the old extended tips do.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
only took 6 fucking weeks but back to the retarded thing i built.

Alright, more snowball effect here lol. look at that fucking chiapet on that battery too. more hair than my head has

Timing chain started to rattle earlier this year when hot. Figured it was due for one so I limped it along till my diesel was done.

Since I was taking the chains out (all 3) which means the cams come out, figured it would be a good time to put my upgraded ones in since this motor build I’ve wanted to do for two years clearly ain’t happening. Then I thought, let’s go ahead and replace the valve stem seals too and see if we can’t get it to stop burning some oil. As I looked into how the valves and springs came apart, I realized the head has to come off so you can use the big fucking C clamp style valve spring compressor. Fuck it, let’s replace the head gaskets and bolts while we are at it too. Will let me see how the pistons/cylinders are doing.

So spent the day tearing it down. Driver head is ready to be unbolted and done but I’ll do the pass side all first.

Head all torn down

Pulled all the old seals (they were shot!!) and popped new ones on, cleaned up the valves and stuck her back together. I need to clean the block deck but the head is cleaned up and ready to go back on.

Damn thing is overly complicated. Makes me really want to drop an LS into it. There is plenty of room after measuring.... :LOL:

I have a mexico trip coming up end of Oct. Need to finish this so i can build a strut tower and half ass throw in the 10" coilovers from Turdblow (minus the coilovers) so the front actually has decent dampening.

who we kidding, that shit probably wont happen.....

Last edited:

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
What machine shop do you use here in phoenix. Have a spare 5.3 I am contemplating building up for a turbo project.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
What machine shop do you use here in phoenix. Have a spare 5.3 I am contemplating building up for a turbo project.
I dont have one in phx, I only go to Larrys engine and marine in tucson. He was the only one years ago that would listen to what i wanted done to a diesel engine and works real close with me on what i want. Always spot on with his machining and very honest. He will stick to his time lines unless issues arise with your project but its best if you call him once a week for an update and keep things rolling. hes built the fastest LS truck in AZ and just finished the new engine for my buddy who has that record. Pricing is very fair IMHO but this is comparing to other diesel specific machine shops that like to charge a pretty penny.

that said, i do know you need to stay away from Basko's, Gene's (he literally doesnt so shit in house, its all farmed out), and Outlaw. Basko's cant rebuild a head to save their life (they tried 4 times over), Gene's just cant do much and you got to catch him a good mood otehrwise hes a dick, and Outlaw cant hold to a timeline to save their life. They also couldnt seem to remember to bore a cummins block .020 over even though they had the new .020 pistons sitting right on his desk.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Worked on this POS through the week last week and finished up Saturday. hard to tell how much the timing set wore till i went to put everything on with new gears and all. all the factory gears had a slight sharks tooth to them and chains didnt show a bunch of wear but once i started putting the new shit all on, between the new gears, chains, sliders and tensioners, shes fucking TIGHT. reminded me of my college days.... ok, im talking out my ass there because i was too big a pussy to pick up all the pussy i could :LOL: . boy if i knew now what i didnt know back then (think thats a fucking country song).... it still probably wouldnt change a god damn thing.

so enough about my terrible sex life, i mean, for fucks sake, i drive a tracker. spent forever getting old silicone off and putting new seals in, timed the fucker, buttoned it up and then spent 2.5 hours looking for my fucking notes on the empty ecm pin slot that you run to chassis ground to lock out timing so i can set the base timing. Fucking suzuki doesnt want to tell you this shit, they want you to use a Tech 1 scanner to do it but some brilliant fuck with too much time on their hands figured out that Suzuki left the pin on the ecm, just took out the little dlc/monitor coupler that you would use jumper wires in to do. finally found that damn thread and proceeded to set timing to 13* base (stock is 5*, fuck stock).

drove it around the block and parked it till today. Drove it into work and has some more power throughout the power band, nothing mind blowing but holds 4th gear better on hills and more bottom end out of it.

i did measure cylinder bores for shits and giggles. service limit is 3.3090. Im at 3.3087 at the widest part with only .003 out of round (service limit is .004). didnt give enough fucks to check taper because i still wouldnt pull the fucking thing. for 233k miles, ill fucking take those numbers.

heads back on

leaky exhaust valve seals

The fun zone. It’s a real blast to get the spring keepers back in down there. These things have dual valve spring stock though which I can understand considering the cam profile has a hell of a point to it. The more I look this engine over, the more I see why that pike peak car could make the power it did on boost.

cams and timing gear in

Then had this brilliant ideal to drill all the rivets out of the valve covers to clean the catch tray as the little drain back holes like to plug up. mine was fucking clean, god damn waste of time redrilling holes to put 23 rivets back into both valve covers.

from there, it was just alot of closing shit up.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Cams didnt do it for me. its time to go full retard.

This chinese shit should be fitting on a japanese engine. factory injectors are 260-280cc (at 100% duty cycle) based on the factory service manual. going to see how they play with a fmu/rrfpr at say 2 or 3:1 ratio. should be plenty for 8-10psi. got a small 20" x 7" x 2.5" intercooler as well and a few other things. im curious how the factory ECM handles the boost before i run my AEM FIC6. alot of guys have been running 6-8psi on stock untuned suzuki 4 bangers in the same year as my rig getting 12:1 afr and running well. No ones had the balls to fuck with the v6 i guess or they know better lmao. if i need more fuel or tuning, i have sotck n/a supra 330cc injectors and the AEM has been in the rig for a couple years in prep for this. Had to pull the trigger now since the strut bar needs to clear a turbo lol. good excuse

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds