Abominable Snowman - Extra cab 4x4 ranger

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
Who knew swapping wheels would be so eventful?

Yesterday after driving up to Moreno Valley to meet Tommy for my new wheels, I came home and swapped them on. All went well until I went to pull out of the driveway. Turns out one of the weld-in nuts on my rear caliper mount had broken out. This caused the caliper to gouge into my wheels and take a nice machine-cut-ribbon out of the inside. Awesome.
I fixed up the caliper mount and got all the wheels to clear (there's no space with 15's on these rotor/caliper combos, but they work).

Something else looked funny though. The truck is a lot wider than it used to be. So i measured the backspacing on the wheels - 4.5". Okay, nothing crazy there. Then I measured the BS on my mexican't wheels, 6"!
No wonder the truck didn't turn for shit. I had negative backspacing.
So now I get to fully cycle my suspension again in hopes the tires clear my fiberglass. I'll do that as I respring and revalve next weekend.

Aside from looking better the truck actually turns sharper now too! I'm pretty stoked about that.

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Those are some pretty new wheels. Hands down fav is converted AR-23’s. Going to pick up a set of 15x7’ AR-23 for the DD soon too

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
Those look great, that's exactly what your truck needed!!!
I agree! Really turned it around. Now I need to address the falling-off grill

Those are some pretty new wheels. Hands down fav is converted AR-23’s. Going to pick up a set of 15x7’ AR-23 for the DD soon too
I would be okay with these making a comeback on all ford trucks. Especially OBS F150's and Broncos.
ATX and Method had their fun, bring back the classics!

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
man those wheels look damn good. imo 15s are the absolute best sized wheels to pair with 35s looks wise!!!

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
I agree! Really turned it around. Now I need to address the falling-off grillI would be okay with these making a comeback on all ford trucks. Especially OBS F150's and Broncos.ATX and Method had their fun, bring back the classics!
Hey now... there's room for all of us haha. Honestly from a wheel standpoint, 15" wheels don't do shit. I sell 100 sets of 17 for every 1 - 15" wheel. Just a small market for people who actually enjoy having sidewall to protect their wheels. I'm sure you're a fan of the color but I think they would look rad if you painted the centers the same grey that's on your cage to match and leave the blue rings. And like everyone is saying, the truck looks 10x better. I'm pretty sure we have the same glass up front at least and with my front end being about 5" or so above stock with the 4.5" beams and the d44/d35 hybrid I still clear without an issue with 3.5" backspace wheels. The rear glass would be an easy quick fix as you already know.

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
Oh shoot, I forgot for a moment you work for method. I'm really not knocking them, I just appreciate the classics a bit more. I was close to ordering 17" Bronze wheels through Eagle if it wasn't for these popping up.
I'm sticking with polished aluminum for now. In a while I might explore powercoating for a change.

That's good to hear about the tires clearing your fenders. Your wheels are wider and I think I'm only 3.5" over per beam. That gives me a better feeling. I'll still cycle it but at least I won't stress about it.
The rear looks okay still. The driving factor there is still the width of the spares being mounted so far out.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds