All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
90% of the bending load travels through the top and bottom tubes or plate work as shown in red. The middle of the side plates where the dimples are doesn’t do much structurally.

If the axle side is capped with plate top and bottom, make the plate as thick as possible.

Looking good! Cheers.

Edit. Forgot to add pic.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Finished drilling/dimpling the side plates for both arms and then cut out and welded the shock pocket inserts. Had to clearance the side to clear the side plate dimples, but these holes will basically turn into big plug welds anyway during final install.

Clears King 2.5 rod ends with no issues, but it is very tight. Zero chance of anything with a larger rod end fitting in here.

Started cutting out the tubes that connect the two dimpled sides. These things are are surprisingly annoying to make just because they're so damn short. Only have to make 22 more of them.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Are you going to have something other than the side plates connecting the shock pocket to the bottom tube?
Yep, I'll be adding one more vertical tube at the rear of the shock pocket/under the bypass mounting hole. Figured there needed to be a more solid connection there. I think I'll probably slot the side plates to weld them to the sides of the added tube. If I end up having to make another pair at some point, I'll plan the plate seam better and land it on the tube instead.

Since all CAD software is subscription based, I need to "find" myself an old copy online and actually start drawing stuff instead of just winging it.

Reactions: A.J.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Rough math, with weight numbers largely pulled out of my ass, plugged into a spring rate calculator gets me 210 for the rear spring rate. Based on an extremely rough 770 lb corner weight. Leaning toward a 350/500 spring combo, which gets me a combined rate of 206. Since the truck isn't fully built, its pure guesswork at this point, but this should at least get me in the ballpark. Can always play with springs later.

Correct or not, getting the 14" coilovers ordered. Should receive them in who knows how long.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Got a bit more fab time in and welded the shock pockets into the main bodies of the mezzanine arms. Clearanced the side plates around the axle-side heim for improved articulation, and then welded them in for good.

The flux-core hellhole that is the inside of the shock pockets reminded me once again to stop being a lazy fuck and buy some welding gas.

I've never fabbed particularly quickly, but I seriously underestimated the amount of time I would spend making these mezzanine arms. Thankfully they're nearing their end, and I can get back to the rest of the truck soon.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
What's your tricks for getting the flux to look decent? And is this off a 110 machine?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds