All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Couldn't find any decent screw-type jacks locally, so I decided to go ahead and make a pair of jack stands. 3" .188 wall outer tube with a 2.5" .120 wall inner tube drilled in 1" increments. 3/16" base plate with 1" square tube diagonals. 27" collapsed and 42" fully extended.
View attachment 224612

They're 90% complete as is, just have to pick up some 2" round tube so I can make the rotating cups for the top, and then add some locking tabs to the four pins. Maybe a bit overkill, but they'll be plenty tall enough to let me fully cycle the rear suspension.
Pro tip: Only drill the holes in the inside tube 2" apart. On the female tube, drill two holes for the pins that are 3" apart. Now you have the ability to raise it in 1" increments depending on which pin hole you use.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
How flame and spark resistant is that insulation and backing paper!? 😂
Hasn't caught on fire yet, so I'll find out when it does lol. Previous homeowner left behind two expired fire extinguishers, so I'll hope they're not too far gone if/when I need them.

Pro tip: Only drill the holes in the inside tube 2" apart. On the female tube, drill two holes for the pins that are 3" apart. Now you have the ability to raise it in 1" increments depending on which pin hole you use.
Damn, I should have thought of that. Would have saved a ton of drilling. Next time I guess.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
After reading dozens of "why didn't I do this earlier?" posts from people who moved mid-mounted fuel cells to the rear, I'm pretty damn certain I'll be doing the same. This means ditching the dual spares and hacking off the rearmost bedcage diagonals in favor of a rear cell with a single flat mounted spare. Shitty MS paint pictures for reference. Tire and cell outlines are pretty close to scale, and the green line is roughly the rear plane of the longbed bedsides.

I can tell I'm going to waste a bunch of tube getting the compound bends correct for the two bars surrounding the spare.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I would say you don't need a bar around the spare necessarily. Bars around the fuel cell for sure though.
Yeah the bars around the spare don't serve any real structural purpose beyond some additional bumper support. Mostly there for aesthetic reasons since the bedcage would end awkwardly at a hard corner otherwise. Basically just vaguely adapting this design since I have no imagination.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Ha, yep. I remembered that video after finishing the bodies of my jackstands. Made me realize they're way overbuilt for what I really need. I'm all set if I decide to pick up a deuce and a half or something though.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds