All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Did a TON of cycling and adjusting in the rear and got the four link and mezzanine arms dialed in. Axle links invert at ~27.5" from the frame, and at ~26.5" with extreme articulation. I'll strap the rear at 25" to be safe, but I'm pretty happy with how things worked out. I could make the axle links longer and move the pivots lower to get a couple more inches of droop travel, but meh. I'm good with it as is.

This is the max articulation before mezzanine arms start twisting and potentially tacoing shock shafts. Not too terrible. I'm probably fine with bypasses+bumps, but I'm guessing I should probably add a sway bar for some extra safety.

After getting the rear dialed, I went ahead and mounted the rear bumps and strike pads.

Just need those goddamn coilovers to show up from King and I can finish the rear suspension for good.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Loose fuel cell mockup in the rear presents some challenges of its own. I can't move the cell forward enough for the hat to clear the spare, and doing so actually worsens access since it moves the connections from the void in the middle of the spare to directly under the tire. I also want to avoid mounting it too much lower and ruining rear ground clearance.

I think I'll end up leaving it in the fore/aft position shown, but dropped another ~2-3" for fuel line clearance. Which means I'll have to mount the fill neck in the center of the spare, and fill the tank through the wheel hub hole. Bit of a strange setup, but I think it'll work well enough.

Reactions: J4Roe

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Just mount the spare at an angle, the same angle as the down tubes would give plenty of clearance for everything.
That would definitely be the simpler way to do it. I just hate stuff sticking up above the bedline where I can avoid it. Going to hack those rear diagonals off to accommodate the flat spare. Center hole in the wheel is ~4.25", lots of room to have a vertical filler neck through the middle. Will be roughly flush with the wheel face, so it shouldn't make removing the spare too annoying.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
That would definitely be the simpler way to do it. I just hate stuff sticking up above the bedline where I can avoid it. Going to hack those rear diagonals off to accommodate the flat spare. Center hole in the wheel is ~4.25", lots of room to have a vertical filler neck through the middle. Will be roughly flush with the wheel face, so it shouldn't make removing the spare too annoying.
Fuel filler neck acts as the tire hold down!

Boom!

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Looks good dude. Is that the RCI wedge cell?

I experience environmental disaster spills like that all the fucking time. Looks like my goddamn concrete has vitiligo.

Reactions: themoneypit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds