All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I never put my door bars in my toyota! Haha
Originally, I wasn't going to have door bars at all. After bending my first piece of 1.75" DOM though, I realized that the HREW shit bends WAY easier. After seeing enough bent/tweaked DOM cages here, I decided door bars were a necessity just for chassis stiffness if anything. I'm confident this cage will keep me safe if I fuck up, but I'm 99% sure it'll get trashed in the process.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Made some dimpled A pillar gussets and got them welded up.

After that, I made a base for the fuel cell out of angle iron to locate it since there was a bit of play in the carrier itself. Then I started working on the topside of the fuel cell retainer. Topside of the frame was just drilled and tapped for 1/2" bolts. Not a lot of threads, but I'll nutsert it if it ever becomes an issue.

I still have to fab up the portion of the retainer that goes down the rear side of the cell, and the fuel filler will be mounted to the upper retainer in the center of the spare.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Threw the seats back in the truck to check the fitment and realized that I'll need to make some changes. I clear the roof tubes no problem without a helmet, but I'll be banging tubes all day long with a helmet on. You can see that the seat is actually pitched forward a bit. The rear seat tube sits about a 1/2" higher than the forward seat tube.

Looks like I'll be cutting out the bent rear 1.75" tube and sinking a straight 1.5" tube into the floor in its place. This should drop the rear of the seat ~2" and get me the needed headroom. I underestimated how tight the cab would be as a 5' 9" dude once the cage was in place. Seems like I'm gonna have to ban tall people from riding in this thing.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Chopped out the rear seat tube and gave the floor the old gape job with the plasma. The new 1.5" tube is actually sitting on top of the frame rails, and I'll have to tweak the ends of the tube ever so slightly before welding to close the remaining 1/8" gap. I'll lower the rear corner sheet metal of the floor a bit as well so I don't have to crawl under the truck to install 1 out of 4 bolts.

Rear of the seat dropped ~2 inches, and I've got ~1.5" of head to tube clearance all around with a helmet on. Once I'm belted in and I've broken in the seats a bit, shouldn't have to think about it again. Well worth re-doing the tube and some floor pan modification.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds