All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Added the rear shock mount diagonal tubes and threw in the third member for mockup. Clearance on everything checks out at full droop. Coilover is wasting ~5/8" of its stroke however. If the u-joints have angle to spare, I might shorten the spacer in the bypass to get another ~1-1.5" of droop.

Added some heavier tacks on the tie rods, reinstalled the front shocks, and made the truck a roller for the first time in ages.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I think you have the “weight behind the axle” covered.
Definitely a big part of why I like the mezzanine setup. Should be adding another ~350 pounds behind the axle with the tank full, spare on top, and the batteries just in front of the fuel cell. Ass end should be nice and heavy.

Reactions: bullnerd

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
With the back half of the truck mostly complete, I decided to start sealing up the cab. Cut windows in both a pillars to finish welding the backside of the engine cage tubes where they intersect the a pillar tubes. Welded up those holes and reinstalled the doors. (Don't mind the birdshit. I suck dick at welding thin sheet metal.)

Started welding up a few of the tube to sheet metal intersections on the rear of the cab. Most of them are tight and seem to weld pretty nicely. Two of the holes went a bit wonky when hole sawing, and are likely going to be a bitch to weld.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Welded up the rest of the tube to sheet metal intersections on the front and rear of the cab.

Tossed the portaband in the vise ghetto-style and cut out a few plates to finish boxing/gusseting the rear mezzanine arm pivots. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one of these things. It's fucking magical compared to the grinder/plasma.

Welded up the gusseting and splashed some paint on the rear pivots. A bit cold to be painting it seems. Runs galore. Luckily you can just wipe off the primer and re-try.

Started patching up the last few holes on the underside of the cab, but I ended up rage-quitting before getting much done. Every weld at max arm extension, t-shirt showered in MIG spatter, and getting more and more pissed with every burn. Bailed and hit up Amazon to overnight a welding jacket. Not sure why my dumb ass didn't buy one earlier.

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
I have never been able to master welding upside down. The weld wants to fall out and on to me. Looks like crap. My cage in the 4Runner has beautiful welds where no one can seem them, on top of the cage but the underside everyone looks at??? Birdshit.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I have never been able to master welding upside down. The weld wants to fall out and on to me. Looks like crap. My cage in the 4Runner has beautiful welds where no one can seem them, on top of the cage but the underside everyone looks at??? Birdshit.
You need to move faster and turn the wirespeed up a bit. Overhead is actually one of my favorite ways to weld. Screws up my neck, but I can get them to look goooooood.

Reactions: DirtFiend602

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds