All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Stock Ranger fuel sender reads from 15-156 ohms, and all of the universal senders output the generic Chevy 0-90 ohm readings. Added a 15 ohm resistor in-line, which should theoretically make my empty reading accurate, and the gauge will read ~2/3 when the tank is full. Gauge shows right at half full with 21/26 gallons in the fuel cell.

Just have to re-learn what "full" means, and the gauge should read accurately when empty. Works for me.

Trimmed the hood to fit around the engine cage cross-tube and the bumper tubes. With the inner structure clearanced, the engine cross-tube clears the outer skin by ~2mm. Hood front corners are a bit floppy after the trimming, so I'll need to add some hood pins eventually. Stock latch works for now though.

Didn't even realize this hood was aluminum until I started cutting into it. Sure made the install/removal cycle much easier.

Installed the rear window with butyl tape, door seals/weather stripping, driver's seat/harness, and the bulk of the interior. Wasn't a fan of how close live battery terminals were to the floor, so I threw in a 1/4" HDPE spacer for some insulation.

Installed rear suspension stover nuts, charged rear bumps to 60 PSI, front bumps to 90 PSI, and all shocks to 200 PSI as a baseline. Plugged in the various EVAP system valves/sensors, and that immediately cleared the remaining check engine lights. I guess this year of truck got a fairly "dumb" system that isn't looking for legitimate sensor feedback.

Rear end is 9" from the bumps with zero preload. I'll run it through inspection on Tuesday as-is, but up next is a proper alignment and messing with the front/rear preload. Going to shoot for 60/40 bump/droop in the rear, and the front will likely end up closer to 70/30 bump/droop once it is leveled.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
which butyl tape you use? And which size?

I am trying one with foam inside it this time. Forget what it is called....

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
which butyl tape you use? And which size?

I am trying one with foam inside it this time. Forget what it is called....
I used some cheapo Amazon stuff last time and the window eventually started leaking after a couple of years. Came in the paper-backed roll like you'd expect, but it was just a strip of un-cured butyl tar. Went with the proper 3M stuff this time. 5/16" Windo-Weld/Ribbon Sealer. Rather than the strip of pure butyl, it's a foam core coated in butyl like you noted. Should last much longer.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I swear the 3M ribbon sealer I got before was pure butyl?

When I researched I found this: Ford uses Foam Core Butyl WSB-M3G143-B (or -B1) to seal the rear window glass frame to the body. It's 5/16" (8mm) wide.

Now, with that said... a local glass guy we use that has TONS of experience... He prefers the solid butyl. He said to use 1/4" on the solid...

I have tried 3/8" solid (way too big and didnt squish all the way down!!)
5/16" solid. Seemed to squish down enough, but seemed a tad large.
and now the 8mm foam core.

My first try on the foam core.. it is leaking a little in 2ghetto... but that is from shitty install. (replacing another shitty install... from butyl tape I got from E-Gay with my window. That batch was old or junk brand or something and didnt stick for shit)

The shitty install is because I didn't remove cell and move filter crap.. and the tape got jostled when trying to stuff it in by myself I still need to redo that on 2ghetto. Thanks for reminding me. LOL

TWE93Ranger

May 17, 2022
Drifter
Neat build. I just joined and am building my ranger. I flux core and use HREW pipe as well. My ranger has been converted to RHD and i did the steering swap in a back yard not a garage so this build sings to me.

TWE93Ranger

May 17, 2022
Drifter
Neat build. I just joined and am building my ranger. I flux core and use HREW pipe as well. My ranger has been converted to RHD and i did the steering swap in a back yard not a garage so this build sings to me.
For all the 1s asking WHY? Cuz i wanted to and was told it was impossible so i did it. Its my truck so i built it my way, different from everyone ranger owner in the US. There 2 ppl in the whole US that have a home built RHD ranger. Me and a youtuber.

TWE93Ranger

May 17, 2022
Drifter
For all the 1s asking WHY? Cuz i wanted to and was told it was impossible so i did it. Its my truck so i built it my way, different from everyone ranger owner in the US. There 2 ppl in the whole US that have a home built RHD ranger. Me and a youtuber.
Heres a pic of the first test fit and YES i do weld in MUCK BOOTS sometimes i even do metal work in flip flops.

Attachments

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds