All HREW and flux core, yet less ghetto than before

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

themoneypit

member
Jul 30, 2018
375
429
63
Missouri
Yeah, hard to get much feed pressure on this old piece of junk with a hole saw this large. Could have just been wear issues though. I ordered new belts along with the bearings. I could just barely make half-decent chips before, and spent most of my time scratching the whole way through.

Started cheating a bit by tilting the plates to make drilling easier. Reduces the contact area and allows for more feed pressure. Gives a slightly sloppier hole, but well worth it for the speed increase.
 
  • Like
Reactions: littlebird

themoneypit

member
Jul 30, 2018
375
429
63
Missouri
Fixed up the drill press and finished hole sawing the frame overlay plates. I had measured everything out to ensure that the holes lined up, but I'm apparently brain damaged and welded the driver's side on backward. So the first two holes along the seam are too close together. Was sure as hell not going to cut the plate off for a minor cosmetic issue though, and just welded up the passenger side to match.

221560


221562


Up next is bed cage fabrication.
 

themoneypit

member
Jul 30, 2018
375
429
63
Missouri
Very limited garage time today, so I got the axle bolted back up and vaguely positioned a spare for mockup. Drew up a rough outline of the bedcage design while stuck indoors. Mezzanine arms pivot from the rear, and shocks mount roughly where the downtubes terminate.
221575


I still have to decide on spare and fuel cell mounting. The original plan is basically what is shown. Dual stand-up spares in the rear, fuel cell behind the cab, and likely some form of storage directly above the axle. This seemed like it made good use of the space in the back, kept somewhat convenient storage access, and retained excellent rear visibility, but I think moving more weight rearward could be useful.

Another MS paint option here is putting the fuel cell behind the axle and hung between the frame rails, and then mounting a single flat/angled spare above it. I would hinge the spare and build a storage compartment between the fuel cell and spare. With my relatively lightweight fuel cell however (24 gallon), and ditching a spare, I'm not sure this really makes for much of an improvement. I also end up with a massive void of empty space behind the cab, while also reducing rear visibility somewhat. I'll have to think on it all some more.

221576
 

themoneypit

member
Jul 30, 2018
375
429
63
Missouri
Spent a day and a half figuring out why the four link was doing weird shit. From full bump to 3/4 droop, the axle was moving ~1.5" horizontally. After triple checking everything, I finally figured out that my passenger upper link mount on the chassis was 1/4 further forward than the driver's side. I found that the passenger lower link mount on the chassis side was also 1/16" rearward from the driver's side. After correcting both of those issues and squaring everything up again, I'm down to ~3/16" of horizontal movement over 22" of travel. Not perfect, but close enough that I don't really need to worry about it anymore. After that I welded on the axle-side tabs for good.

221654


221655



After finally getting the four link more or less finished, I decided I needed to mock up the mezzanine arms before building the bed cage. The upper coilover mounts determine the location of the bed cage down tubes, so I need to figure out the coilover position first. Step one was to build the axle side mezzanine arm links/pivots. While the chassis tubing is HREW, I'm using DOM tubing for all of the suspension components. With these done, I can work on the mezzanine arms themselves tomorrow.

221656
 

themoneypit

member
Jul 30, 2018
375
429
63
Missouri
Fabbed up the rear pivots so I could do some cycling with a mockup mezzanine arm. Putting 1.5" dimple dies in 3/16" plate was apparently asking a lot of my 20 ton press. I made it work, but I had to massage the plates quite a lot afterward. Just tacked everything together for now. I'll likely pull the mounts off and weld them up on the bench.

221670

221671

221672



Threw on a piece of flat bar as a mockup mezzanine arm and did some cycling.

221673


With a 12" coilover at a 2.25 motion ratio, and a 14" bypass with a ~1.9 motion ratio, I ended up at 27" of travel metal to metal. I'll likely strap the rear at ~25" of travel, and I should be able to keep the upper shock mounts even with the bedsides/bed cage as well. I'll likely make some mockup shocks so I can finalize the mezzanine arm design, since shock orders seem to take forever.
 
  • Like
Reactions: littlebird

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
13,688
6,130
113
Boringsville
The link arm leaning forward like that is going to start having a falling ratio. I would lower the rear pivot point down and shorten the arm up a little so that the link is closer to 90* to the arm at full bump.
 
  • Like
Reactions: themoneypit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds